Time Capsule Wireless Back Up Only

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stonemonkey1968, May 28, 2010.

1. stonemonkey1968 macrumors newbie

Just bought a new 1TB time capsule but having a few teething probs. I just want to set it up so that I can back up my Mac Book, wirelessy, but not use the TC to connect to the internet as I am happy with my current wireless router.
    Is there an easy unerstandable way to do this as I can only seem to set it up as a network which I don't want, as I only have one computer in the house

Many thanks for any advice

Andy

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Has to be set-up as a network.

I think you will be happier, in fact, with this serving as your router. Apple routers (Extreme, etc.) have a history of no issues compared to other routers on the market. I have only rebooted mine twice in 3 years, for example.

Is there a GOOD reason why you wouldn't want to switch? You want to use the TC aspect of it, why stick with your old router and have two boxes (even if you could access it without setting up a new network)

Streamline and consolidate! :)

3. stonemonkey1968 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply and for the advice. So can I take away my current wireless router modem and just plug the cable that would have gone into my wirless router straight into the TC? I was unaware that TC could be used as a router modem.

Thanks

Andy

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It can't be used as a modem. If your ISP gave you a router/modem combo there should be some documentation about how to turn off the DHCP inside your ISP provided router/modem.