Time Capsule Wireless Blocked By Entertainment Center Glass

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chunter1001, Aug 18, 2012.

1. chunter1001 macrumors member

I just installed a new time capsule today. It's replacing an old Linksys wireless G-band router that has worked great for years.

I put the Time Capsule in the same place in my entertainment center as my old router. It's right next to the cable modem. The entertainment center has some frosted glass sliding doors that hide the electronics.

Here's the weirdness: When the frosted glass door in front of the router is open, I get around 25 Mbps download per Speedtest. But when I close the door, I get 1-6 Mbps.

Obviously the glass is the issue, but I have no idea why. The old Linksys router did just fine for years. Any ideas of what could be going on with the TC and how I can get reliable wireless speeds without leaving the entertainment center open?

Thanks!

2. hafr macrumors 68030

Have you tried separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands and try them separately? The 5 GHz band is more sensitive to physical objects being in the way.

3. chunter1001, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

chunter1001 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, figured out how to set up the 5 GHz as a separate network, and restacked my network preferences so it was only connecting to the 2 GHz. I noticed marginal improvement.

4. hafr macrumors 68030

Could you place it somewhere else? :)

5. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Is it reflective/smoked metallised glass? It would be kind of odd for a piece of furniture to have it, but some cars use it to reflect the sun's heat. It's been known to play havoc with RF garage door openers and RFID freeway passes.

6. chunter1001 thread starter macrumors member

Haha! That is the most logical solution, but I'd prefer to find a way to keep the electronics concealed. So should I say, my wife prefers it the way. :D

----------

I don't think so. It's just frosted/semi-opaque glass on an older Ikea entertainment table. Nothing fancy about it, besides its ability to block RF.

7. drambuie macrumors 6502a

It could be lead glass, or there could be a metallic component to the frosting. Either could have an attenuation, or possibly a reflection effect on the RF signal. Have you tried increasing the TC's transmitting power?

8. hafr macrumors 68030

As far as I know, Apple's routers have 100 % transmitting power set up as default. And it's not possible to change this setting with Airport Utility 6, meaning it would be quite weird if the default setting would in fact be less than 100 %.

9. chunter1001 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help and ideas! I threw in the towel and just moved the TC from behind the glass. Works like a champ where it is now. Appreciated!