Time Capsule wireless hard drive sharing slow?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deriko100, Aug 23, 2008.

1. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Hi, i was going to get a airport express but i also wanted a external hard drive then i thought of the time capsule because it has a built in 500 gb hard drive and its wireless it can also share my printer and my actiontec router doesn't work well, i was wondering how slow it would take to transfer a file can you post some comments thanks

2. Halsey12 macrumors regular

I've only used it to pass digital photos between my wife's computer and mine... and grabbing 5 to 6 4 mb photos and transfering them to the Time Capsule doesn't take any noticeable time.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

uhh...

I've found the majority of transfers easily surpass 10/100 ethernet speeds.

So in other words, pretty damn fast for most of us.

4. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

how fast is it streaming movies or music or photos?

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

I've never streamed anything more than 720p, but that goes FAST, so I'd assume 1080p wouldn't be a problem. Music and photos are not even a concern.

7. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

awsome since ill probably using ethernet on 2 computers that would be blazing :)

8. CoolKen86 macrumors member

I have a question too, let's say i want to tranfer a file to the TC manually like a normal external hard drive would do, would that work? or is the TC only work for time machine hourly back up?

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Yes it would work as a regular HD, but if you plan to use it with Time Machine, you need a separate partition for it.

10. CoolKen86 macrumors member

What's a better option, get a 500 GB Time Capsule or but a Airport Extreme and a FW800 external hard drive?

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

huh?

How do you plan on connecting that FW800 external hard drive to the extreme?

12. The Hammer macrumors regular

I don't think he means to do that in this case. Rather the external drive would be connected to the computer as opposed to a Time Capsule setup. I am sure the poster knows that there isn't a Firewire connection on the Time capsule or extreme. I have been debating whether to go with a Time Capsule or a Extreme plus Ext Firewire drive myself.

13. CoolKen86 macrumors member

I do know that the Time Capsule does not have FW800 and i will have the drive connected directly to the computer if i get one with FW800 but i just want to know which is a better option for me...

14. CoolKen86 macrumors member

So what's the best choice for me? I need it to store photos, music and movies... So is either A. Time Capsule 500GB or B. A Airport Extreme with Western Digital 500 GB My Book Studio Edition. Does anyone have that HD? is it worth it?

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I have it and it has done a good job. I use it for backups in Time Machine connected to my Extreme N.

16. superknoppix macrumors member

superknoppix

just dont partition the drive or it wont work anymore...(at least with airport)

17. CoolKen86 macrumors member

Well, i don't think i need wireless backup that much... I just thought i would be nice to have a time capsule. Does the Airport Extreme have gigabits ethernet?

18. superknoppix macrumors member

superknoppix

the airport extreme and time capsule both have gigabit ethernet. but you need network cables that can support it... (it think they are cat6 or something...)