Time Capsule with 2 users question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BenTrovato, Mar 27, 2013.

1. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Hello... hoping someone can help me answer this setup question. I currently have a MacPro backing up to my 2tb time capsule hard drive over wireless. Is it possible to add a 250gb external HD via USB to the time capsule and then have another system (MB Air) backup over wireless to the 250gb drive only?

What I am trying to achieve is that Pro continues to back up only to the 2tb capsule and the Air only uses the 250gb external. So both systems backup to independent hard disks or does the 250gb just become an extension of the 2tb and all the backups are convoluted into 1 giant mess? I couldn't find the answer by searching so I appreciate any help on this one. Thanks..

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

The disks are not joined as one. They remain separate partitions. And yes, you can back up to the internal with one computer and the external with the other.

3. BenTrovato thread starter macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Amazing, thanks!!

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Also... even if you wanted to back up both computers to the 2TB drive... it would NOT become one big mess. You would see a separate sparsebundle for each of the two computers being backed up. Their data would not be intertwined at all.

I am not 100% sure... but I thought that I read something recently that backing up to an external drive attached to the TC is only supported in certain generations of the TC. I very well may be wrong.

/Jim