Time capsule with ANY drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jackfrost123, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

Can some user here please verify if I can use the time capsule with any sata drive with no limitations, I was thinking of purchasing the 500 gb one and sticking in one of those 2tb babies from wd out in a few weeks or so. Is this possible? Does apple cripple this in some way I am not aware of?

2. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

My bet is that it would work just fine, sata implementation seems to be standard in the TC. Searched around for any posts on people trying the 1.5tb drives that have been out a while but came up with nothing. I suppose it's a gamble, but worse case you could hang it off the USB port on the TC and utilize it that way.

3. vorkorsigan macrumors member

Have run an old Maxtor in a ICEBOX enclosure now have a bigger WD in it. Both worked fine. Have also tried a WD 500Gb mybook, also works fine. You should not have any problems with the WD drives.

4. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys thanks a lot for the replies! I ll probably go ahead and get the 500 gb tc, and try my luck out with the 2.0tb when it comes out, only problem it seems that it won't be one of the famed "server grade" hitachi hard disks apple uses:rolleyes:.

5. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Cool... post back to this thread your results... swapping out the drives is not difficult at all.

Good luck!

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Swapping is easy, but if you're going to do that, you're better off buying an Airport Extreme and then plugging in an external USB enclosure with that 2TB drive.

7. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why do you think I would be better off thus? Does time machine work with an external usb enclosure? The reason I am going with the tc is because I want to avoid clutter and I want a simple solution such as the tc that will be (relatively) power efficient and silent, because most enclosures have bad quality noisy fans.

8. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

That's exactly the reason I went with TC (actually replaced my AE + External HD solution)... less clutter, no power supply brick hanging around (make that 2 bricks with the external USB drive). Definitely makes for a cleaner solution.

9. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

So have you done it yet and does it work? I'm interested in doing the same myself but I've yet to find one discussion where someone has tried the 2TB in Time Capsule to verify that it works.