Time Capsule with direct ethernet internet connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by T Rex, Oct 4, 2012.

1. T Rex macrumors newbie

I'm looking at getting a Time Capsule as a means of backing up easily and automatically, and also to store my iTunes folder and keep my computer's hard drive light.

My potential problem is that I live in college accommodation and I'm not certain I'm going to be able to configure the internet correctly to run an ethernet connection to the Time Capsule and access it via my computer's WiFi.

So if I have to continue getting my internet via an ethernet cable plugged directly into my computer, can I still use the wireless hard drive functionality of the Time Capsule? Or will using one disconnect the other?

Thanks.

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Is there anything special about the way your computer uses the college’s connection? Special client software? Port authorization?

If not, if it’s a standard plug and play network connection, then you’ll have no problem using the TC. It’ll be the primary client on the college network, and you can set up a NAT on the TC to enable sharing out to multiple devices through WiFi or Ethernet. Does the network auto assign an IP/DNS to your computer or is it static? If static you will need to load the static IP/DNS into the TC, but it’ll still work fine.

3. T Rex thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe it's static.

The only reason I'm concerned is that it ran some kind of "machine registration" process the first time I plugged in and I'm not entirely sure what that entailed.

I plugged in the cable, opened my browser and after a few seconds was automatically sent to a website that configured everything for me.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like your college is not going to allow you use the Time Capsule on their network due to the authentication screen you mentioned.

You can still connect the computer to the wired Internet AND the Time Capsule wirelessly at the same time.

If you look in the network pane in System Prefs it will show both connections active like on my machine below. Mine is connected to wired through a Thunderbolt Display, but the same setup applies. They will both work at the same time.

[​IMG]

5. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If it was simply an auto configuration process there may still be hope. If it set up some kind of trusted relation, that could be a problem.

I'd borrow a NAT router and test it out. If you can configure a router to work using the network setings from your computer, then yes a Time Capsule will work. Heck, if you can't find one to borrow, go pick up a cheap NAT router from a local retailer and give it a try. Return it when your done testing.

6. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

could it be possible that it locked to your MAC address on your network card? Cable companies used to do this so you didnt run a router. Not sure if they still do. If it is the case, just spoof the mac address in the TC to read as your computers does and it could work. But yeah, if there is some sort of software handshake that was installed then you might be locked out.

7. T Rex thread starter macrumors newbie

But even if I can't get the internet working, I should be fine to stay on my wired connection while accessing the wireless hard drive? Brilliant. As long as that's the case I'm happy to put up with it until I'm in private accommodation.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep.