Time Capsule with ethernet printer - questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by monjones, Mar 27, 2009.

1. monjones macrumors member

Hello,

I have a first generation Time Capsule. I want to by a laser all-in-one printer and would like to be able to print wirelessly (wireless scanning would be nice too, but I'm not so bothered about that).

I'm thinking of buying a Brother MFC-7840W and have a few questions:

1. This all-in-one is wireless (b/g), so if I set it up as a wireless printer using the printer's wireless feature, would it have the effect of slowing down my N speed connection for Time Capsule? I plan on leaving the printer on all the time so it's ready to print if I need it (I assume it will go into standby mode when not in use) - I don't mind it slowing the network speed just while I print, but wouldn't want it to slow my connection down permanently.

2. If option 1 slows things down, how about if I connect the printer via ethernet. Would that work easily for printing? Would I be able to scan too? In other words, is plugging in an ethernet printer on a TC the same in terms of functionality as a direct ethernet connection between my MacBook and the printer?

Any advice before I buy would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

I have a Brother MFC-490CW connected wirelessly to my mixed b/g/n network and I have no problems with slowdowns. It's also connected 24/7. The only times it would slow down is when the connection is active (ie, you're sending a print job or scanning something). And even then, it won't slow it down completely to 54 Mbps. My MB always connects at 170 Mbps even though the printer is online and connected via WiFi. Although I haven't had the opportunity to see how much it would slow down when I'm printing, I know that when my 802.11g PC is connected to my network and actively downloading, my MB still connects at ~110 Mbps.

Also, AFAIK if you connect the printer via ethernet to your router, it will have the exact same functionality as connecting it via WiFi. If you have an available port and the printer is close to the router, I suggest a direct connection to the router. I always prefer a direct connection to WiFi, but since my router and printer are in two separate rooms, I have no choice but to connect wirelessly.

3. p.luik macrumors regular

You could always plug the printer into your time capsule via USB. Then your network would never slow down when printing. You also might be able to buy a cheaper printer w/o ethernet. I have an HP laser connected via USB to an Airport Extreme and it works great on Macs and PCs in my network.

4. monjones thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much to both of you.

I did consider a cheaper printer and going via usb, but I'm about to start working from home so I wanted to get something that could handle the workload better.

The TC and printer would be pretty much next to each other, so I'll take your advice and connect via ethernet.

Thanks again.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

The multifunction aspects (namely scanning) will not work with a USB attached printer.

6. gmanrique macrumors 6502

Have you had success with this option?

I am trying to do the same with a Samsung CLS-3170FN (No wireless) but cannot get it to work.