Time Capsule with gigabit cable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CocoSS, May 11, 2012.

1. CocoSS macrumors member

Hi,

Tomorrow i'm gonna buy a 2TB Time Capsule. I want it mainly for storing backups and my iPhoto and iTunes Libraries.

I want to acces iTunes Library and iPhoto Library over lan from my TC. I'm wondering if wifi is enough or should i buy a gigabit cable and connect it with my MacbookPro and TC.

Thanks !

2. lamboman macrumors 6502

Wi-Fi will be fine. I had my iTunes library stored (not using iTunes sharing) on a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo (far slower than a TC), and it was literally as fast as having it stored locally.

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Gigabit LAN rates are 90+ MBps. You should get close to this from your MBP Gb LAN port to a TC (or to a Gb LAN port equipped NAS). WiFi rates will be 20MBps or so - good enough for iTunes, but much slower for hefty backups.

It's up to you how much an extra 70MBps is worth. You won't see as much benefit if your data is lots of small files. I move multi GB files around and I really miss not having a Gb LAN port on my MBA.

4. lamboman macrumors 6502

Apologies for misreading the post, I didn't notice that the OP mentioned backups.

I'd still say that Wi-Fi is sufficient for backup though. Time Machine won't really slow your system down when it's running, and unless you're doing backups several GBs in size, there is no need for the extra speed.