Time Capsule with modem/router combo

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by highertechnology, Aug 10, 2009.

1. highertechnology macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I did a search first and did not find specific answers.

I currently have my wifi through a motorola surfboard modem/router combo (I do not rent it, it was given to me). I do not have a working modem only.

If I connect a Time Capsule to this will I experience any issues?
    Is anyone else running something similar with no problems?
    Will it intensify my network?

Thanks

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You can have the TC in access point mode which will allow it and all devices connected to it to connect to the same network, but you would need to create a second wireless network.

In order to strengthen an existing wireless network, the main router would need to support wireless extending (a random Motorola router would not).

3. highertechnology thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Geoff,

Would I still be able to run dual band? Can my MBP run on the 5.0ghz N and my iPhone run on 2.4Ghz?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you run in access point mode, you can run any wireless network type you choose without any affect on the existing network.

5. highertechnology thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool,

Ill place my order then. So in the access point mode my original surfboard will still transmit signal in a/b/g and the TC will transmit in 5.0N as long as I set it up that way, right?

Also can I still use mobile me to access my files remotely?

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I don't use the service, so I honestly cannot say. My guess is that you can, but it will require some setting up on the other router, and it won't be as simple as just turning it on.

7. highertechnology thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again Geoff,

You have been remarkable.

Cheers.

8. dB.Mac macrumors newbie

Hey OnYourKnees,

I have a FIOS WiFi router and a TimeCapsule setup. I disabled the wifi on the FIOS box ( which only ran B or G wireless ) and have the TimeCapsule, which is hard wired to the FIOS box, running my wifi for my network (mixed B,G,and N). I added an Airport Express at the other end of the house to extend my network coverage so that I can maintain very strong coverage completely around the home.

The setup was easy and can be done for you if you use the wizard setup steps. BTW, my XBOX360 is hard wired to the FIOS side of the network so that online traffic is not on the same IP range as my computers ( I set the FIOS box to run in DHCP server mode as well as the TimeCapsule in it's DHCP server mode for better security). No issues whatsoever and awesome bandwidth!!