Time Capsule with old router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CoolKen86, Jun 8, 2009.

1. CoolKen86 macrumors member

Hi, I am planning on buying a Time Capsule (Old version) but before that, I want to know if it is possible to connect it to my current router and set it up to 5Ghz only? Because since I would have two router I would like to set up one on 2.4Ghz for my ipod and other "G" devices and the TC on 5Ghz for my macbook only. Or do I have to get the new one for the Dual Band connection?

2. adm531 macrumors member

i was under the impression that time capsule operates on both bands simultaneously. Thus you would not need both routers. Can anyone confirm this?

3. CoolKen86 thread starter macrumors member

It does operates on Dual Band but only the newest model... I'm getting the old one since it is really cheap on Amazon right now.

4. CoolKen86 thread starter macrumors member

5. lostime macrumors regular

you can do this if you connect it with a CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6, etc.... cable from your old router to the "in" port on the Time Capsule. The first router will just see it as another computer and the TC will see it as a direct line in from a modem. Then set up the TC to broadcast in only 5ghz/wireless N only. This is an easy setup under Airport Utility.

To answer a previous question, yes the time capsule can broadcast in both N and G simultaniously but you sacrifice speed, I was transferring at about 300mbps with "N" only and with "G/N" it is around 150mbps.