Time Capsule with own NAS backup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bcburrows, May 1, 2013.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I did a search for this but did not find what I was looking for.

Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a NAS via my time capsule which then creates a back up of my backup?

I have 2 macs
    1 time capsule
    1 WD WorldBook NAS

MBA - I just need one back up of
    MBP - I would like the time machine backup, but then in case of disk failure etc, the secondary backup would be ideal.

Does anyone know if this can be done? I realise that I could go out and spend money on a RAID setup, but I am trying to achieve this using the technology I already own...... There is, after all, a recession in all but name on right now.

If it is not possible to do this, would it cause trouble have the NAS, which has its own time machine settings etc, create a back up separately? Or is there some software that would accomplish this, I guess really it is more about the files and folders than software which can be easily re-installed.

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

do you want a bootable back-up?
    Or would a time machine back-up suffice?

YOu can use the Time Capsule to back-up BOTH Macs.
    Then use the WD NAS to complete another back-up via Time machine....Just use the built-in OS X settings and NOT the ones included with the MyBook.

In OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) you can have multiple disk back-ups and can select either one at any given time. but not both concurrently.

That is one option I like to use, have my main Time Machine back-up drive and every so often swap it out with the secondary Time Machine back-up and rotate them out.

3. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Thanks for the reply.

I guess critically it is the files I want to have duplicate back ups of, but ideally if I can have a bootable image that could simply then be restored, that would be perfect.

What I am after is a method of copying the Time machine copy. I am not hugely concerned about having multiple drives in various locations for security purposes, but more adding some redundancy into my backup solution. I have just had one time capsule die on me (and despite applecare, the effort and time taken to get a replacement was appalling).

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Backup of a backup is always a horrible decision. Just don't do it.

It is MUCH more valuable to have a second independent backup... using a completely different backup program.

My recommendation... continue to use the TC for TM backup. Perform a different backup to your NAS... using a program such as CCC or other solution.

/Jim

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

100% agree with this.

6. bcburrows, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Is what is you guys suggesting the "block copy" option CCC discusses, or are you suggesting setting up CCC as a fully independent program? I assumed you were talking about the latter, but then when I saw that CCC has some time machine integration I was no longer as sure.....

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I would just set up CCC as a totally independent backup from Time Machine. Set it up to copy all of the data off of your system... perform incremental backups... and "save information only on the destination". I cannot remember the exact names for these functions... but you should be able to figure it out.

The big recommendation is to NEVER just make a backup of a backup. Any human or programatic errors just propagate... so the value is nil. A fully independent backup can be quite valuable.

I also strongly recommend that you add a cloud based backup to your overall strategy. It is generally extremely cost effective... secure... and provides off-site disaster recovery.

/Jim

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The CCC defaults to those settings

Cloud backups are good for emergency/disaster backup of a small amount of vital data. Consumer grade cloud backups currently do not work well for more than say 200GB of data or when you have any files larger than ~3GB (some providers limit to 200 MB). You can easily generate large files when you work with home video.

I discontinued my crash plan because it was such a PITA. Performance will vary by what part of the world you live in.