Time Capsule - Without internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Luthersnewboots, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Luthersnewboots macrumors newbie

Hi there, I bought a time capsule to work as a wireless backup in our office.
    The office is a serviced office providing internet and utilities e.t.c
    I use their wifi for my macbook to connect to the net. I had to register my mac address before gaining access to the network.

The problem I have is that they consider the time capsule to be a security risk and will not authorise the mac code for it to join the network. I cannot share the internet of my macbook with the time capsule either because that seems to be blocked.
    Not sure why but they deem it a security risk, but they do.
    I have tried to explain my use of it is purely internal and I won't broadcast the signal to unauthorised users, but they are not interested.

Is there any way I can still use this capsule to backup?

I am running 10.10.3 and the time capsule is the A1355 1TB model.

I look forward to some replies.

LNB

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Any way, sure but perhaps more manual. There may be other ways, but here's one.

Set up the time capsule as its own independent Wi-FI network without connection to the office. When you want to backup, switch the computers WI-FI network to the TC network. Switch back when done.

Does your mac have an ethernet port? If so you could connect the TC to the ethernet port. If you want to run it wirelessly, then perhaps plug one of those USB to wireless adapters (or equivalent) to your computer and use that to connect to the TC instead of ethernet. MacOS will support at least two ethernet/wireless adapter connections so you will have internet and TC at the same time.