Time Capsule Without the Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ohla313, Apr 26, 2011.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I use a Linksys router at home and was wondering if there's a way to backup my MacBook Pro with Time Machine without connecting the external drive to my MBP?

Could I somehow connect it to the router or something to make it work? I know Time Capsule has a router and drive for backups, I'd really like to do this without the modem functionality since I already have a router.

Thanks!

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

If your router has a usb port on it you should be able to connect to your external HD through your wireless network. I haven't set one up since I did mine years ago but you should be able to just plug it in, then open up finder, and you'll see it under shared in the sidebar. If you don't see it, check your prefs to make sure its set to be visible if its there.

I would recommend, as would others here, hardwiring for your initial back up and then wireless backing up after that. It should be pretty straightforward.

Edit: For the record, I have an airport extreme base station and a usb 7200 external. Your setup should basically be the same with a different router.

3. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

thank you for your help. I don't have an airport but I do have a modem and the linksys router that connects to it. Not sure if there's a usb port on that. I've already been backing up via USB so I wouldn't need to do the hard wired backup correct?

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have a Time Capsule with a 2TB external drive connected via USB to it for Time Machine. This works for backups wirelessly but I don't know if this is the solution your looking for. Anyway, just thought I could try to help.

5. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

That's right. If you've already started backing up via time machine and usb you'll just need to redirect time machine to the new location otherwise you'll be fine.

6. Crispy3M macrumors newbie

I believe you could always just have your Time Capsule "Join the existing Network" That way you can do your backups wirelessly.

C3M

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

If the modem and Linksys are two separate devices, you could just replace the Linksys with the Time Capsule.

Or as Crispy3M mentioned, you can have the Time Capsule join the existing wireless network, in which case it won't act as a router.

Is your Linksys wireless network 802.11n? If not, you could leave it as is, and setup the Time Capsule as a wireless bridge. It would create a second wireless network in your house, for all of your 802.11n devices to use. This would allow them to connect at full speed, while slower 802.11b/g devices would connect to your Linksys. (Although the Time Capsule alone can run a dual-band network -- you can have it run the two separate wireless networks without needing the Linksys).