Time Capsule Woes (wifi)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mekohler, Dec 26, 2008.

1. mekohler macrumors member

My friend Jenny lives in an apt complex with public wifi access. They have NO access to the router or any ethernet jack, and must provide the front desk with their MAC Address to let their laptops connect to the network. How can we get her MacBook Pro and Time Capsule talking via wifi in this configuration? I'm not sure the TC will be able to join this network. Right now she is at home, and I am testing this config by simply shutting off her wifi connection at her house to see if the TC and MBP can talk with eachother alone...that hasn't worked at all.

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I think you would have to provide the MAC address of the TC to the front desk. Me personally I would advise against giving anyone the MAC address to any of the devices, but that's just me. You can try to tell the TC to extend a wireless network in the utility and put in the name of the WiFi network that is available and any applicable security key (I doubt there is one). The TC and the MBP should be able to connect to each-other even if there is no internet provided, you just need to create a wireless network between the TC and the MBP.

3. mekohler thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that's would I said originally. Where do we find the MAC Address of the TC?

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

In the AirPort Utility, the summary of the TC. You will have to do a complete reset of the TC if you can not get into it with the Utility. There is a pin hole button on the back that you need to hold in until the light blinks yellow. As long as your airport is turned on on the MBP, open AirPort Utility and it should try to find a base station

EDIT*** the MAC address would be the AirPort ID you would need to provide the front desk.