Time Capsule won't allow two computers to connect.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Conall, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Conall macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a time capsule and a MacBook Air for the last number of months. Both had been working perfectly and even when my neighbour came over with his MacBook, we could quite easily network between the two computers and connect the two to the internet via the time capsule... Furthermore my MacBook air backed up regularly to the time capsule using time machine without a problem.

Problem.... I got a new iMac and uploaded an imprint of my MacBook account and data onto it from the time capsule. I now cannot connect the two computers to the time capsule simultaneously, cannot network between them or cannot have both connected to the internet at the same time.. Furthermore, neither will back up to the time capsule using time machine. Very frustrating, because I know that it is something very simple causing this, but I am new enough to Mac and cannot resolve..

Please help...

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This problem is probably caused by a computer name clash. Does your MacBook have the same computer name as the iMac? If it does, make them different. The computer name is set in the Sharing pane of System Preferences.

Under normal circumstances a name clash shouldn't happen, but it can if you clone one system to another - which seems to be what has happened here.

3. Conall thread starter macrumors newbie

They originally had the same name after the clone.. I have changed this but still can't get them to connect..

Should I just start up another account on the iMac and shift all the relevant documents and files across?