Time Capsule Won't Back Up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stekerrod, Jun 16, 2009.

1. stekerrod macrumors regular

Hello

Yesterday was a most joyous day for me as I got my new mac, a 15.4" MacBook Pro, I also bought a 500GB Time Capsule with it to keep everything backed up. Once I set the Time Capsule I went through all the set up stuff and the wireless network works fine as does the wireless printing. But as you can guess from the title of this thread the Time Capsule wont back up. It gives the following message when I try and get it to back up "Time Machine Error: The backup disk image could not be created."

I've tried reseting the Time Capsule, Tried all the different settings, Looked on the Apple website and it still isn't working.

I'm out of ideas so have any of you fine people got any ideas what to try to get this thing working?

Thanks guys

Stephen

2. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I'm getting the exact same error with my airport extreme w/ext TM drive attached... any clues?

3. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

You need to make sure you have a name for your computers local network:

To do this go to:

System Preferences --> Sharing

And at the top of the sharing pane should be a text box. If that box is empty, that's your problem. Give your mac a name like "ricksmac" and the backup will start without a hitch.

Check this out and let me know if it worked.

4. stekerrod thread starter macrumors regular

It's aliiiiive!

That's worked! It's backing up as we speak, I had spoken to Apple this evening and the guy just said the HD is corrupt and I should get it replaced, he didn't seem particularly interested in the problem I was having either to be honest!

Thanks very much for your help, after you should have a job at Apple customer services!

Stephen

5. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy