Time Capsule Won't Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rayward, Aug 26, 2009.

1. rayward macrumors 68000

I previously used my TC as my main router, connected via ethernet to my iMac and also to an AEBS to give me dual zone wifi (it's a 1st gen. TC without the built-in dual zone). I recently moved and now have a home ethernet network, so I reconfigured things slightly. The AEBS is now the router, connected to a 16-port switch that feeds all the outlets around the house. The TC is connected to this, in bridge mode to expand the network, and is still connected to the iMac directly via ethernet.

Well, the bridge networking works fine, as I have internet access on the iMac and I can stream iTunes content from there to either of my Apple TVs over my ethernet network. However, Time Machine backups now "fail", and I have no idea why or what to do about it. This is especially strange as the TC and iMac are connected directly to each other, exactly as they were before I reconfigured the set-up.

I have tried resetting / rebooting the TC, but I am wary that I will unwittingly erase the backups on there already. Anyone got any ideas?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

You won't erase your backups. Resetting the Time Capsule only resets the settings of the Time Capsule itself and leaves the information on the hard drive intact. I've done this many times myself as I was working things out with my setup and I never lost any data.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3728

3. dandaman2 macrumors regular

Oh my gosh I have this problem a lot in a different situation -- I have four macbooks trying to backup every hour and it just can't handle it. Considering a switch to CarbonCopy + an AirPort Extreme and external hard drive.

I have no idea what's happening, but usually we disconnect every other macbook and connect one via ethernet to do a little backup, then switch them through. Then, it works over wireless for a couple more months.