Time Capsule won't sync with new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lordofthetweets, May 29, 2009.

1. lordofthetweets macrumors newbie

I have had my Time Capsule set up for about half a year, all worked fine with my old iMac. Now that I have copied the profile of my old iMac to a new one, I tried accessing the Time Capsule to do some deleting. It does open the Time Machine and shows the starry universe and all the screens, yet it won't show anything before today. How can this be? And, more importantly, how do I solve it?

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Have you tried repairing permissions? Sometimes migrating between computers can botch those up.

3. lordofthetweets thread starter macrumors newbie

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

You repair your permissions with disk utility. Go to your HDD, select applications then utilities. It's in here.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Time Machine makes separate backups for each machine. So chances are, on your Time Capsule, there's a file for your old iMac, and there's a separate file for your new iMac. (That would also explain why it doesn't show any backups before today)

If you want to delete stuff from your other iMac's backups, mount the backup image manually, then hold the OPTION key down while you click the Time Machine icon in the menu bar. Select "Browse Other Time Machine Disks".

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...can timemachine back up a windows part on an iMac?

If it can do that, could it back up a winXP only machine?

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

It won't backup the boot camp partition, how ever if your using Vmware or parallels it will BUT because the image file changes so much the time capsule will back it up every time.