Time Capsule-- Works fine on iMac and Macbook but not Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by idesign245, Dec 30, 2008.

1. idesign245 macrumors 6502

I got a refurb 500gig Time Capsule for Christmas, and was able to set it up fine with my iMac, but when I tried to set it up with my Macbook Pro that I use through school it wouldn't show up/mount via wifi or USB. When I tried with my moms Macbook just to see, hers sees it fine.

I have a feeling its something to do with the image the school uses on the machines, but when I emailed IT, they said "Typically the images that are set up for each program are just a collaboration of programs required for you to complete course work in your specific program. There are no specific permissions turned on or off that would not allow you to connect to this device."

I had my dad play with the router, but its not the issue because the other two machines can access the Time Capsule with no issues. I can give the Time Capsule its own IP in Airport, and it shows it as connected but still won't show it when it scans to set it up with Time Machine. I can ping the Time Capsule from both the iMac and Macbook Pro. The software has been installed on both machines as well.

Any ideas?

2. bstreiff macrumors regular

Sounds like firewalling set up on the MBP, blocking Bonjour browsing.

What do you have set in System Preferences->Security->Firewall?

3. idesign245 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its set on "Allow all incoming connections" but shows screen sharing in the large white box thats associated with "set access for specific services and applications"

4. bstreiff macrumors regular

Yeah, it'll automatically enter anything you're sharing from the Sharing preference pane.

Are you running any other firewall software? And how are you trying to connect to the Time Capsule-- ethernet or wirelessly?

5. idesign245 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried both wifi and USB... didn't mount either way.

6. bstreiff macrumors regular

Er, USB? You can't connect a computer to the Time Capsule via USB. Unless you use a standards-violating USB A-to-A cable, which would be bad. I hope you meant Ethernet.

Are you able to see the Time Capsule in Finder? (Under 'SHARED' on the left-hand tree?)

7. idesign245 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah sorry, it was ethernet. Nope it doesn't show up in Finder either, but it does on the iMac.