Time Capsule...Worth it or do you have a better storage idea?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by webella, Mar 4, 2009.

1. webella macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am new to Macs and a friend recommended getting Time Capsule for my external storage. I wondered if I could get some feedback on reliability, security, and overall product information. Also, does anyone recommend another external storage unit? Thanks in advance.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Buy an AirPort Extreme Base Station and then an external USB HDD of whatever size you want.

If you want, you can also get a USB hub and connect multiple USB drives and printers and such to the AEBS.

3. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I have the first generation 1TB TC and I am extremely happy with it. I used to use it for Time Machine but I just use it as a file store to keep all my back up files.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

When considering backup strategies be sure to look at off site backup.

This is important as your TC or external USB/FW HD could be stolen, lost in a fire, etc.

Cloud storage might be worthing looking at considering your needs and budget.

5. webella thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm...great point. :eek:

Thanks for everyone's thoughts...very appreciated.

6. coopermac macrumors member

If you already have an adequate network setup then you won't need a TC for external storage. The TC contains an Airport base station as well as the HDD so you would be paying far too much for storage if you don't need the base station/router aspect of the TC.

Give more information on you current setup and why you want to add storage for a more detailed response.

7. webella thread starter macrumors newbie

My set up? Think beginner... :) I will have my new 24 inch Imac and I just found out about Time Matters from another wonderful poster but I thought you need some external drive (I want to have the ability to back up my files). I have very low needs in the sense of most of my work is documents and some excel spreadsheets and photos. If you have any suggestion as to what I could/should use so I have a back up in case my Mac crashes (I know very unlikely) I would appreciate it. Thanks so much~

8. coopermac macrumors member

Mmm.. If you are already connected to the internet via a modem/router you don't neccessarily need the functions of the TC unless you want to use the "n" enabled wireless connection.

For backing up your Imac using Time Machine you can use a standard external USB hard disc which should be connected all the time if you want to use the automatic backup feature in Time Machine. For best results ensure the USB hard disc is at least the same size as your hard disc in the Imac.

An external hard disc is a much cheaper option than the TC for simple backups. However if you specifically want to utilise the extra networking capabilities of an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station then the TC is a good option as it combines both functions in one neat box.

9. flanamac macrumors 6502

Off site is less preferable to me than a fireproof safe where you can unplug your hard drive and stick it in there if you plan to be away from home for extended periods. A good one will run you around $500 (that is ensuring it likely will repel the heat adequately from the fire).

I frankly need to get one myself for the important legal documents we all have we take for granted will never be burnt or lost. I have thought of a safety deposit box, but that is only accessible on the banks schedule and real-time access is more important to me if an emergency occurs and you need whatever is in the SDBox on a moment's notice.

10. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

This might be a bit extreme for home movies and family pictures.

11. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I totally disagree after seeing friends home burn down. Sure he had a Time Machine backup and other redundant backups. But that doesnt do a bit of good when those drives are all burnt to the ground.

I have had a digital camera since 2000, that is a ton of photos and video that I could never get back if something were to happen.

In my mind off site back up is essential in today's world.

I couldn't imagine losing every picture of my daughter becuase I was too stupid to stash a drive at work or at a friend/relatives house.

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

But then again, it's just pictures of your daughter. Sure it's a pain to lose, but does it warrant the effort and costs of maintaining off site backups.

It's not sensitive client data that you are required to keep by law.

And I like the idea of the fireproof safe, seems like less trouble than having to drive to your friend's, pickup the drive, do a backup, drive back to your friend's and drop it off.

13. webella thread starter macrumors newbie

I never even thought of the fire/theft in my equation of my storage solutions so thank you for bringing them up. I am a criminal investigator and most of my files need to be preserved and it would be a cluster f if they got stolen or fire damage.

Anyone recommend a better off site storage service? I know of Iron Mountain but wondered if anyone had others to look at?

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions....this site is amazing as so many tech help sites are useless in the sense of you can post a question and you would be lucky to get a response. Every post here is answered and folks really go out of their way to help. And as a new Mac user/lover, I do appreciate that.

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

15. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Mozy works pretty well. They give 2GB for free, and have other plans for more storage. Carbonite is one of the better options, but their Mac client has been in beta for quite a while now. I just checked their site, and it says "now for Macs", but when I clicked that link, I got a server error. I don't know what's going on with all that, but I know their Windows service has been very nice, and I have been waiting for the Mac client for a while.

BTW: I have no idea of either company's policy toward customers outside the US.

16. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

"Just pictures of your daughter" you obviously don't have children. No it isn't "sensitive client data" but again its things that cannot be replaced.

I keep my offsite drive locked in my desk at work, Monday night I bring the drive home back up and take it back on Tuesday. Sometimes I might do the backup more often than that if the need arrises.

Just because its personal data does not make it any less important. Do I want to rerip 200 gig of movies NO do I want to rerip my music NO do I want to tell my wife that every single picture of our daughter is gone NO.

The cost of a second drive is minimal and the effort is as well.

17. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Point is moot, the OP stated he has sensitive investigation data that requires such efforts. We could go back and forth on this, as I have important personnal information too, but if I lost it, I'd just start over and this is fine with me. It sits on a RAID 1 array with hot swappable drives, but I'm never going to go through the trouble of doing off-site backups.

And I'd never use hard drives for off-site backups, not reliable enough. I'd go for magnetic tape myself, LTO or SDLT. With a proper rotation, it will last close to 20 years, and it can be partly automated and mailed to your off-site location or requires only 1 round trip to store. Plus if you get one stolen or defective, cost of replacement is lower.

18. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

JungleDisk is another option. Buy the client and store the data in Amazon's S3.