Time Capsule - worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by blackfx35, Feb 28, 2009.

1. blackfx35 macrumors member

I am in the market for a new external Hard Drive, and I am also in the market for a new wireless router (have a 5 year old Linksys WRT54G currently). I was looking at purchasing two different devices, a wireless N router and a 1TB external HD, however, I just noticed Amazon is selling the 1TB TC for $388. On the plus side, its one device, as well as an Apple device, and my wife absolutely LOVES anything apple (hardly questions an apple purchase)....

Me: We got a new device.
    Wife: Why the hell are we wasting money on new devices???
    Me: Its an Apple device
    Wife: Sorry for yelling at you....good job.

Anyhow, I still think I can spend less than $388 for two different devices, but not sure if the money savings is worth it in the long run. However, if something happens to the HD in the TC, then I am left with a very expensive router.

The two main purposes for the external HD are 1. Back up content (mainly documents and photos) on my iMac 2. Move all of my iTunes library (movies and songs) to the external drive, and access via my iMac and AppleTV.

What are your thoughts? Should I go with the TC at that price? Or two non apple devices? Which two device combo would you suggest??

TIA

2. gwihannom macrumors member

It's like asking a question about whether to get a Dell or Apple.
    From Windows Vista and Dell, you can pretty much do anything you would do with Apple. And also vice versa.
    (Except for professional programs)
    But when you factor in, designs, brands, quality, etc., then you decided to buy an iMac.

I think you're at a similar situation again.
    Time Capsule is the simplest and the lone device that will take care of all your needs.
    Replacement wireless router + wireless hard drive. 500GB or 1TB.
    It looks great.
    And I have been using it with Time Machine, and also have files sharing through my network computers both Mac and PC. It's probably the only device that I do any "bragging" to my friends.
    I just think it was a great idea.

Then the cost. Time Capsule is much more expensive then Airport Extreme + External hard drive.
    If you want to still go with Apple, but require a large external hard drive space, then go with Airport Extreme, and buy one of the WD, Seagate, LaCie, whichever USB hard drives.
    You can plug it into the USB jack on the back of Airport Extreme and have it work exactly as Time Capsule.

If you want to save more, buy any Linksys, Netgear, etc., and add a NAS hard drive.
    Again, WD, Seagate, all make them.
    This will be about half the cost. Even less if you find well.

Performances will all pretty much be the same. But it does vary.
    Some settings will be superior, some won't be. You can't have it all.
    But all the above settings pretty much work the same way.

Getting Time Capsule will be the simplest way.
    Easy set up, good design, placement, etc.

Time Capsule is capable of what you're trying to do.
    But it was really best designed to work well with Time Machine.
    Which means, for your needs, NAS might be better.
    Not that Time Capsule can't handle it.