Time Capsule worth the extra $$?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jayrod, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Jayrod macrumors regular

I just got home from the Apple store with a new AirPort Extreme Base Station. After some major waffling, I decided to save myself the $120 bucks and forgo the built in hard drive. I hope I'm not making a mistake... any feedback? Do you think the time capsule is worth the extra money?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There are two thoughts that I have about this. One, there have been known issues with the AEBS and external drive connectivity. I'm not sure how well these so-called issues hold up but even people who considered the Time Capsule over their current windows network drives and such knew of the issues of hooking an external up to the AEBS. I think Time Capsule is worth it if you need network storage and hopefully it would be less buggy, but my only question was whether or not you can upgrade or replace the hard drive should something happen to it. If you cannot then the AEBS and a separate drive is a better decision in my opinion.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

The way I look at it is for an extra $120 you would have gotten a 500gb hard drive...isn't that a good deal (I am by no means a hard drive expert, but aren't they pretty pricy?)

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Time Capsule is only worth it for the wireless TimeMachine backup.

TEG

5. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Umm, no PM?

Cheers.

6. Jayrod thread starter macrumors regular

Really the only thing that I see as essential for backing up is things like my music library, iMovie projects, and photos (you can't get those back once they're lost!). I don't really need 500gb for those things - they can just be copied over to an external hard drive (I already have a 100gb external hard drive just sitting around collecting dust). That's what kind of swayed me away from Time Capsule. I was going back and forth on it so much because of the ease of use with Time Capsule. All that backing up will be done automatically for me so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I better come up with a final decision within 14 days so I can return this thing if I need to.

7. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I think you made a good decision then. Because if I'm right, which I'm not sure, you can now backup from an external hard drive connected to the AEBS wirelessly with Time Machine. Just do the update.

Don't hurt me if I'm wrong :/ :D

I think I'm right though.

8. Jayrod thread starter macrumors regular

Yup. Problem solved. The new update for the base station officially solves the external hard drive issue with Time Machine. Sweet - now I can take the money I saved by not buying Time Capsule and sink it into more Apple merchandise!

9. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Yes this mornings apple update would save a lot of cash in my honest opinion and you could also purchase a smaller harddisk otherwise this would restrict people to buying minimum 500gb just for wireless backup and not everybody has that much data......

would have worked out to be very unfair if apple had not released the update... i dont congratulate apple on this as this is something they have to do and its not a favour they are doing us...

10. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I have both the TC and an External hard drive connected to my Office Imac. I use Super Duper on the external to do a bootable backup and the TC with Time Machine to do the hourly back ups incase I need to fix something I might mess up. I think you need two forms of back up.