Time Capsule. Worths the money?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by diegobgr, Jul 24, 2010.

1. diegobgr macrumors 6502

Hello!

If finally iMac gets updated soon, I am going to get one with a 1 TB Time Capsule.

I will use it to backup my music, photos and documents, but also for share multimedia with other computer and a media player on TV.

What do you think?

2. diegobgr thread starter macrumors 6502

3. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

its great for a timemachine back up unit as what it is made for.
    however like most people have learned here its not really that great for NAS.

You have to activate the drive prior to using the multimedia content if you put it in itunes.
    and sometimes streaming playback can be a bit of nuisance in my opinion atleast.

but as far as sharing files across your network its completely useful and comes in handy everytime i need it to.

i think with the new mac mini it kind of took the elements of the time capsule and apple tv and made a device i might swap my 2TB Time Capsule out for a new AirPort Extreme instead and just use a Mini as the storage media server instead.

4. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There was an obvious problem that led to a recall. It seems that Apple has addressed the problem and I presume isolated. That being said, the issue seemed to be very apparent around 18 months, so it is hard to tell.

I'd be wary purchasing a drive that has had a known expiration date, but all drives fail I suppose.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

the problem was that the internal PSU was becoming too hot and virtually overheating. the capacitors inside of the PSU would explode and stop the whole thing working, the lifetime was roughly 18 months.

the issue has slightly been rectified with the latest TCs (better cooling) - but they can still fail.