Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TyShawn, Sep 12, 2011.

1. TyShawn macrumors 6502

Good evening,

I currently have a WNDR3700 router and to put it in a kind liht has pushed me to the point I want to move on to another router. I am looking at the 2TB Time Capsule, but wanted to know how other users have faired. please feel free to share your pros and cons with this unit.

Thank you

2. tuftywhite macrumors member

Hello Ty,

I bought a 2TB Time Capsule last month. It is easy to set up a wireless network, guest network and link it to your exisiting modem. Also it is easy to see where you can use it to save files etc. It is also easy to use the Time Machine functionality

The difficulty I encountered is that I couldn't get the first good back up on to the TC, despite plugging in via ethernet. I also tried to copy a previous back up via Disk Utility and the time machine gave up each time, locking the hosting computer completely. I managed to get one Mac's backup on but not a second.

This is disappointing as it works really well. Apple are replacing for me and I'm putting it down to just having a bad one. I'll see how I get on with the replacement before giving it a whole-hearted recommendation.

There are other Time Machine compatible drives out there, however, be careful as one I got a friend to buy had to be configured via some terminal scripts to get it to work.

I'm sure you'll get a more full response from elsewhere, my recommendation would be to wait a while unless you're desperate for it.

I hope this helps.

Tufty

3. TyShawn thread starter macrumors 6502

That is good info thank you for posting that. Just a little info on what I will have setup. I will have a Smooth wall firewall set in front of the TC I will use the TC for a switch and AP.