Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by anfield11, Sep 26, 2011.

1. anfield11 macrumors 6502

Will a Time Capsule work totally wirelessly? Or should it be attached by ethernet to the router/modem?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. anfield11 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's for the automatic back up. I'm helping a fired who has a cable modem and then to a router. The Time Capsule is not attached to the router and seems to start the back up [very slow], gets so far and fails.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Try running the first backup with the computer connected to the Time Capsule with Ethernet. The initial backup is usually quite large and will take longer wirelessly. It is faster and more reliable with a wired connection. Subsequent backups will be considerably smaller and will be faster than the initial backup via wireless.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

If it can be hard wired to the router, then that would be best. I pretty much always prefer wired connections.

/Jim

6. VABuckeye macrumors newbie

The Time Capsule is a router. I'd use it in this capacity instead of the "old" router. It can also be run in bridge mode.

As others stated, if he's just using it for backup he should have it connected via ethernet to the router. Not the most effective way to use the device IMHO but to each his own.