Time Capsule

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

I just got a Time Capsule today. I had the AEB but eschanged it for this when my back up failed yesterday. my question is can i place files on this besides for the TM's? so far its been great the WI-FI is even faster then the AEB and the HDD is very fast too.

2. HMI, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

Yes, but you don't want to

You can place other files on there and use it as additional storage, but those files will NOT be backed up as part of time machine, as the time capsule was NOT designed to back itself up. It is only intended to back up files from other drives/computers.

I do not recommend placing other files on there if you need them to be included as part of the time machine backup.

I've personally never owned one, but read reviews that they work great until the power supply dies 18 months later and you are stuck with a brick. Maybe Apple improved them since I last researched this, but I think external drives connected to a Mac mini connected to the airport extreme base station would be the best of Apple wireless storage/iTunes server solutions. Again, I haven't personally tried this yet either. Oh well!

3. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i was thinking of it as a manual back up more or less just incase kinda deal.

4. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

5. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

I use my Time Capsule for home network "Cloud" storage. It's quite handy for using multiple systems & platforms. I've found it painfully slow to use for it's intended purpose, as a backup device.

It works fine for streaming videos and music. (It's not supported, but you can even store your iTunes stuff there.)

6. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

id have to agree that it is very slow but I store movies and other files in a separate folder in Time machine. I also enjoy the set it and forget it approach to backing up. I am not worried about the drive failing since I have applecare and it covers time capsule.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

You can use Time Capsule's USB port to expand the overall network storage. it. Today I have a 3TB TC that my Time Machine uses for my backups. When I get the wife's rMBP, I will put a Seagate 3TB USB drive on the TC's USB port. Then I direct her Time Machine to use the Seagate drive. So each of use will have 3TB of Time Machine storage.

You could just as well hang a USB drive off of TC and use it for any type of storage.