Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aaroncelli, Jun 4, 2014.

1. aaroncelli macrumors newbie

Bottom line up front: moved into a new apartment. Same internet company and speed. My roomates and I decided to buy a modem instead of renting one. It's a surfboard 6151. The TC I have is the older model that I put a 3TB HDD in. So now the movies and tv shows load slowly or not at all, whenever we try to get our Xbox Ones on it we get a DCHP error. Also my iphone 4, MB Pro and Mac mini connect fine but a windows laptop, iphone 5 and iPad 2 do not connect. Is it finally time to retire and upgrade the time capsule?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

No need to replace it fully - if you need better wifi you can just get an AirPort Extreme or even late-model Express, turn the wifi off in your old TC and continue using it as a Capsule for backups.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Is the Time Capsule the only router or is there a router that is already connected and the Time Capsule is behind another router?

4. aaroncelli thread starter macrumors newbie

The time capsule is the only router. It's in bridge mode and at my last place worked fine as my router and as my little media server. Now the movies takes forever to open and don't play when they do and a lot of devices are having connection issues

5. aaroncelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Small update: My Mac Mini, which is directly plugged in to the Time Capsule via ethernet, has no problem playing movies and things like that. I'm starting to think the DCHP issues, and the laggyness of the video via WiFi might be due to the new modem. Thoughts?

6. satcomer, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

"Bridged Mode" means the router has NAT (Network Address Translation- turning public IP and make private IPs) turned off! Your ISP issues ONE (1) Public IP to you. NAT is so you can have private IPs for you private network. NAT also solves(for now) the IPv4 public IP crunch ( IPv6 is the next step to solve the number crunch). However the third world USA is behind the rest of the world in IPv6 deployment.

So if your Time Capsule is the only router take it OUT of "Bridged Mode" if it is directly connected to the ISP modem ( turn off your modem for three minutes after turning NAT back on so your ISP sever will search for a new IP MAC Address connected to their modem).

7. aaroncelli thread starter macrumors newbie

I just realized that was the issue about 10 seconds before you posted haha. Thanks everyone, you've taken me off the Public Enemy Number 1 list in my apartment