Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VETTE277, Sep 17, 2014.

1. VETTE277, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

VETTE277 macrumors member

Hi,

I've been researching this to death and just can't find anyone else that has posted about what I'm looking to do.

I have a wifi network set up using an existing route/modem. I want to use Time Machine on that network, but not as a router/modem. From my understanding this is possible. But, this will be a shared network with other users. Am I able to use it on this network securely, so only I am able to access it from my macbook ? I do not want any other users to be able to access my time machine back ups/or other file back ups and I do not want other users to be able to use the Time Machine for back up either.

Follow up question, is there other external hard drives out there I can accomplish this with ?

Hope this makes sense, thanks!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am going to try and summarize this as best I can and I apologize if I do not answer the question fully. Your existing modem and router can stay as is. In the AirPort Utility, you can configure the Time Capsule to connect to the other router's network over wireless or Ethernet. If possible, you should definitely wire the Time Capsule into the router. It is important that you configure this not to put out a wireless signal to prevent interference with the existing equipment. You can secure your Time Capsule disk in a number of ways. The first is by device password which requires the base station administrator password. I do not like doing this because if you ever need to get a file off from someone's machine you will be entering an admin password in. The second option is "With Accounts". This will let you create a user account and accompanying privileges for that user. For example, John Smith has only read access, while Jane Doe has read and write.

You can attach up to 126 USB drives theoretically to the back of your Time Capsule through the use of a powered USB hub. I recommend that you store your data mainly on the Time Capsule drive and periodically backup the internal TC drive to an external using the "Archive" command built into AirPort Utility. I do not believe you can access your data while the archive is running, so maybe run it overnight.

3. eduardrw macrumors 6502

You can use any external USB disk to connect to your MBP. Disadvantage your MBP is not mobile while you are backing up.

Other alternative is a simple NAS (for example: http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-WDBCTL0030HWT-3TB-Personal-Storage/dp/B00EVVGAC6)
    Connect it to the ethernet - somewhere.

You can set up a user and password and then back up is done via WIFI.
    Your initial backup should be done while connected via USB - to get done in a reasonable timeframe.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you mean do the initial backup over USB, then revert to a networked TM backup with the WD NAS you linked, that won't work. Networked backups place the backup files inside a sparse bundle disk image and are not interchangeable with a directly attached USB TM backup.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Where is the ASUS advertisement?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Very funny. :p:p

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I was waiting for that...

8. VETTE277 thread starter macrumors member

I'm just tired of having to manually attach my external HD to my macbook pro every time to do a back up or if I want to access a file on it.

I'm not sure Time Capsule is my answer if I cannot secure it on a network and make it only accessible by mean if there are other users. Is there any other recommendations/set ups so I can wireless have time machine back up to my external HD and be able to access files I save to it ?

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Just use the Accounts feature and you are golden!