Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidoloan, Aug 10, 2016.

1. davidoloan macrumors 6502

I have used up the USB's for time machine on the two current model Extreme's I have.

I want to buy a Time Capsule to be used solely as a time machine, not for routing or wireless.

Are there any alternative products? I read about using a Raspberry Pi but its quite expensive given you have to buy a powered external drive too, and a current model time capsule is only £5 more than a current extreme when they appear in the refurb store. When its in the refurb store the current model timecapsule is £149.

Whats the best value? Does the old flat time capsule ever appear in the Apple refurb section anymore?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@davidoloan Personally, I would go for a solid large capacity USB hard drive to connect to your existing Extreme for Time Machine. While you can use a Time Capsule strictly as an NAS for Time Machine, its performance pales compared to dedicated NAS offerings in the same price bracket and you are limited to the storage options that Apple gives you.

3. davidoloan, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016

davidoloan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I've already done that, and I need another backup for a another person.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 11, 2016 ---
    Can you plug an external hard drive into the 4th generation flat model Time Capsule (final flat model), and then use the internal hard drive for time machine for one person, and at the same time use the external hard drive for a time machine backup for a 2nd person using a 2nd computer?

If this works can you use a powered USB hub and connect two or even three external hard drives, and would this be reliable?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

1. You can have multiple computers back up to a single hard disk through an Extreme.

2. Yes. You can use USB hubs to connect multiple drives, but understand that if the USB hub is any bit wonky (e.g. power supply is wacky) it could cause issues connecting the drives.

5. davidoloan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but you can't have one computer back up to the internal drive and a second to a connected external drive?

I think I won't use a hub.

6. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

FreeNAS on a low cost computer. Mine cost nothing; a friend discarded it.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. You can back up to a USB drive connected to any model Time Capsule or a 6th gen. Extreme.