Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nyi28nhl, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Nyi28nhl macrumors newbie

As a MacBook Pro owner who often fumbles in terms of compatibility with his linksys router as well as struggling with an external hard drive (often forgetting to plug it in for Time Machine, not to mention that my computer Hard Drive is twice the size as the external), I think TC is a very good option for me. That said, I just have a few Q's just to make sure it will work with my lifestyle.

I'm a college student, so I keep switching between a college dorm and my home. At the dorm, it was as simple as plugging in the router into the ethernet jack in the wall. I assume, if I was able to get the linksys one to work (despite having to unplug and replug it in on a daily basis to reset), this one will work there.

However, at home, there is already a network set up both wired and wireless through another linksys router. Will I still be able to plug in TC at home? Would it be as simple as plugging it into the Ethernet jack in my room (I have both CAT5 and CAT6)? If not, would I be able to plug it into the router in the basement?

My biggest fear is offsetting, or affecting the already in place home network in any way. Before I get TC, I want to make sure that it'll be compatible with my residence for 4 months of the year.

Thanks to all who have read this far, and even further thanks to anyone who can respond to any of my issues/questions. :)

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

You will be able to use the TC in both locations however the setup will be different. Yo will have to go into the setup unility and change a setting each time you move the TC. It's pretty easy. You just select "join an existing network" when at home and "create a network" when in the dorm and then enter some details.

An other plan might be to buy the TC for the dorm and keep another hard drive at home. Then you have redundant off-site backup. As a general rule is not good to keep all your backups in the same building. Fire or theft can cause you to loose everything.