Time capsule

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by polska9, Apr 27, 2009.

1. polska9 macrumors member

hi i am wondering if anyone has purchased a refurbished time capsule and if they are happy with it. i currently have 3 macs and would like them all to hook up to a central printer and i think that the time capsule will let me do this as well as allow for back ups of music and photos and such. Or would you recommend just a classic hard drive to back up data? so any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

If you have 3 macs on your network, a TC would be a nice addition and easy way to back everything up. An external drive would mean leaving that mac on all the time, so other macs could back up to it using time machine. That's pretty easy to set up too, but not quite as convenient.

Do you need a wireless router? If so, go with the TC.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Backing up 3 computers to a drive of even 1TB might be stretch depending on how much data exists across the board. Personally, I just use an Airport Extreme with an external drive of 2TB. I've been using it for just over 18 months and it still hasn't reached a point where it has had to delete something. A bit excessive, maybe, but it has saved me a few times at least. Doing this also gives you the flexibility to easily change the drives if it needs to be done, or partition a part off to use for something else to carry it around.

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I was going to suggest the use of an Airport Extreme + External HDD, (there are obvious benefits of having the hard drive seperate) but the OP wants to use a printer too, and the Airport Extreme only has 1 USB port.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

USB hubs are available for very low prices these days. I currently use one and have two hard drives and a printer hooked up to the router. I think that I paid about €5 for it.

6. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

OK, I wasn't sure that would work with a router. Good to know.

7. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

I bought a Used 500gb time capsule and its been going strong for 5 months now.

the only thing likely to go wrong is the hard drive. I would say go for it.

1TB may or may not be enough for your three computers but you can always add on more storage using the usb port or by putting in a bigger HD

8. polska9 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the response! i guess i will go with the time capsule as it seems to be the most easiest way to do it. thanks again

9. thesmoth macrumors 6502

Can you use timemachineautomatically with your macbooks if you have an external drive plugged into an airport extreme? For some reason I thought that this only worked with the timecapsule, otherwise you would need to directly plug the hard drive into the mac.