Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rookies, May 17, 2009.

1. rookies macrumors member

Folks how good are these apple Time Capsule?

What the backup speed like through Wireless since they are design for this?

Regards
    Andrew

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Its perfectly adequate through 'n' speeds, but I would imagine that 'g' would be a bit slow. Do the initial back up through ethernet though as it would take some time due to the large file size.

3. rookies thread starter macrumors member

What speed is the transfer rate through Wireless n ?? As I am trying to work out whether get one for easy auto backup for my MBP or to use a FW800 External

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

To be honest if you use your computer at your desk alot it would make sense to get a firewire drive. i think wireless n has a theoretical maximum of 10 Mbps (not 100% on that) however any number of external factors could slow down that speed.

5. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

What is important is that you do the first back up with ethernet, the other backups are incremental and so usually much smaller.

At times I have around 1 or 2 GB to backup and it takes a few minutes. I get excellent throughput. For TM backups it is excelent. I wouldn't try superduper or something like that.

6. rookies thread starter macrumors member

Nope I have not got a desk :eek:

I have a MBP which I use all around the house. I have a External Monitor that comes out of the storage for when i am doing my Photography work. Hence reason I been thinking of a Time Capsule but may think about getting a little USB 2 External instead then if it 10MBPS that slow as USB2 would be 480MBPS

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

that does seem slow, I know it takes me about 10 mins to transfer a 700mb movie file if thats any help.

8. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Operating on a G network is a little slow particularly on the initial backup. It's not too bad though. I imagine it will be much better with an N network.

9. lostime macrumors regular

wireless G is 54Mbps

my time capsule usually connects at around 150Mbps if it is broadcasting N and G, I hear that the speed will increase if you only broadcast in "N" only.