Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hubbins, Jan 17, 2010.

1. hubbins macrumors newbie

Hi

I am thinking about getting a Time Capsule and was wondering whether it is due to be refreshed soon by Apple or whether this has happened recently. Is now a good time to buy or is a newer model likely to be released within the next month or so?

Many thanks.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Nobody really knows whats going to happen to the Time Capsule. It may be wise to wait till after the event on 26/27th January just in case.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Whilst I would agree that you should wait till the rumoured event at the end of this month as almost anything could get updated at the event (or in the runup to the event) I would say I think it's unlikely that the Time Capsule will get updated. The reason for this is that there is not much that they could update: it has the latest WiFi spec and the largest harddrive available on the market! Unless they introduce a surprise product like a more expensive Time Capsule with 2+ drives in RAID I don't see much changing until the drive manufacturers introduce drives with >2Tb capacity.

4. hubbins thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I shall wait till the end of the month then before buying. Cheers guys.

5. mbestel macrumors member

Not again

hubbins,

I have gone through three of the blasted things now and would never touch them again.

I'm sure, however, that for every bad story there is a good one too.

I have several Macs, both desktop and laptops, so I ended up buying this software to run on my iMac:

http://www.netrev.com.au/

Works brilliantly and haven't had any problems since.

Seems to work quite a bit faster than the TC too.

Cheers,

Mark

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Good story here. My Time Capsule has never even blinked, it's been rock solid since it was delivered. I ordered it as soon as the keynote finished.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Mine has also been solid. Well once I got a working one: I bought mine off eBay and it was DOA but Apple replaced it without issue (yes, even though I wasn't the original purchaser).

8. jasondono macrumors member

I too am considering purchasing a time capsule. My current wireless router is very unreliable. It drops out often, and the reception on my second floor is spotty. How do people find the connectivity with the TC? Is it solid, or just as unreliable as all the other routers?
    Thanks.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't use mine as a router, just an access point hanging off a gigabit network. It seems fine to me...

10. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

New user with only two posts, both touting the same product. Smells like poorly disguised self-promotion to me. BTW: the website is lame. No eval version, no FAQ, very little info otherwise.

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I use mine as a router and connectivity is great over all 3 floors of my house. Speeds are great even with five heavy users.

12. hubbins thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice and replies. I think I will wait till the conference at the end of the month and then get the Time Capsule. My router is also a bit flakey and so now seems like a good time to replace it.