Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fox10078, Jun 23, 2010.

1. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

So I was looking at getting a Airport Extreme, but when I learned Time Capsule also served as a Wifi Base station my sights shifted. So before I bite the bullet, I'd like to know if any has had any problems with these devices.

Thanks.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

They're notorious for breaking down around the 18 month period, but the verdict is still out on the latest models. I just had a first generation Time Capsule die on me. I purchased mine the day they were introduced.

Unless you need the Time Capsule for wireless Time Machine backups, I say go for the Extreme. And even if you do need something for Time Machine backups, I suggest getting a NAS and setting up Time Machine to back up to that. Some of them, such as the WD My Book World Edition, support Time Machine backups out of the box. Just Google/MRoogle around for more suggestions.

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

My TC died after 20 months, but Apple replaced it for free.

If I were starting fresh and needed both a router and a hard drive for backups I would buy the two separately, since you can easily move a hard drive to a new AEBS, and you're unlikely to need to anyway since the AEBS doesn't seem to have a failure problem.

4. ebaron macrumors newbie

I also had problems after 24 months

I thought it was working well, when all at once it quit working. I thought it was the hard drive. Turned out it was the power supply which apparently is a very common problem with Time Capsule due to the poor design of getting rid of the heat. Removing the hard drive and putting in an enclosure and trying to recover my data did not work. I lost two years of back ups. Apple was very unsympathic and told me I should have taken it to an expert. I bought a refurbished one before I searched the internet and found a large number of people having the same problem. The referbished hard drive does not run unless I am backing up. However, there is a lot of heat where the power supply is. I am planning on doing a different back up. Looking at the Drobos.
    I recommend you to not buy a Time Capsule.

5. dukefan71 macrumors newbie

I bought an MBP recently, tossed around the idea of the Time Capsule as well. I decided to take the chance- a Genius at the Apple Store told me the problems have been resolved with the new one, but I did buy Applecare as well. I don't know if I would have got it without Applecare. I looked into just the Extreme paired with a USB drive for backups, but that looks to be hit and miss as well.

I have had zero issues out of it to this point; whether the overheating flaw has been resolved remains to be seen. As yet, I have no regrets and am glad I have it. I does run a little hot though.