Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Siron, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Can someone explain to me the benefit of a Time Capsule that has Gigabit LAN where my BellSouth modem does not support Gigabit? My modem recently crapped out on me as did my Netgear Router (okay what's the third thing here)? I got a replacement Motorola modem from BS and a new Netgear WNR3500 with Gigabit LAN. I found out later that my modem doesn't have Gigabit functionality.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

It doesn't matter that your modem doesn't have gigabit functionality as the speed of your ISP won't come anywhere near requiring gigabit speeds. Where gigabit speeds come into play is when transferring large files or streaming HD media from one device to another on your LAN (ie, via your router, not your modem).

Edit: You state that you have a wireless N router already. Are you planning on replacing that router with the Time Capsule? If so, I highly suggest the AirPort Extreme. The TC is prone to overheating and dying after ~18 months. If you're looking for a wireless backup solution, I would suggest purchasing a NAS that supports Time Machine backups out of the box (there are hacks for those that don't, but those can be a headache).