Time Capsule's wireless range?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cbeth, Jul 9, 2009.

1. cbeth macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me what the wireless range is on the Time Capsule? I love the idea of automatic backups and a wireless router in one, but only if it really works as a wireless router for the whole house.

I have a 3 story townhouse, and the Time Capsule would be on the middle level. Will I be able to get signals throughout the house?

Thanks for any help!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

As long as your walls aren't terribly thick, you should.
    IMO, you should get the dual-band Airport Extreme and attach a USB drive. Much cheaper and the speed is much faster while nearby.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

the fastest speeds (5Ghz N) don't go through walls (or floors /ceilings) well, you may not be able to get that signal if you are farther away from the router.

the B/G signal (or a N in B/G compatible mode) is 2.4 GHz and does better at passing through walls.
    If you run in compatible mode, and you have only N devices connected, you will be at a faster speed (although slower than the 5GHz) than if you connect even one G device to the network. your network will drop to the slowest speed.

Speed and range can vary greatly, depending on the construction of your house, and what kind of interference there is. Cordless phones and microwave ovens are 2 big offenders. as well as other wireless networks in the area.

so from fastest to slowest

N - 5GHz - doesn't pass though walls well
    N - 2.4GHz - B/G compatible with only N devices connected
    N - 2.4GHz - B/G compatible with only G & N devices connected
    N - 2.4GHz - B/G compatible with only B, G & N devices connected

4. samiwas macrumors 65816

I live in a 3-story townhouse as well, and my Time Capsule is on the bottom floor (where the home theater/slingplayer are). I do have an Airport Express on the middle floor, but haven't taken the time to check the range without that.

That said, while I do get a fairly decent signal up here on the top floor (i show all 4 bars), I can tell you that the backups are MIND-BENDINGLY slow. Most reviews I have seen state speeds of 8 MB/sec or so, even over wireless. I see less than 1 MB per MINUTE. Strange that I can get up to 12Mb/sec internet up here (1.5 MB/sec), but the backup rate is so unbelievably slow. My hourly backups take nearly the entire hour. Yes, I know something is wrong...I just have to figure out how to fix it...I'm thinking of creating a second network for all the various crap in the house (TiVo, etc). Every post I see about this says to plug in via ethernet, but that is not practical when you are 2 floors above the wireless unit.