Time Change

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NZed, Jun 6, 2011.

1. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

So i installed Windows 7 on my mbp. Everytime i use the windows part then switch back, the time on the OSX goes forward about 12 hours. So if its 11.00 pm satuday it will show 11 am sunday.

Whats the cause? Thank you guys!

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you set it to "Set date and time automatically", and if so, which server have you selected to synch with?

3. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

Yes i have. But it doesnt seem to change it. I have to go in. Uncheck it then check it again so it changes. Im in New Zealand, so it should be Australian Server shouldnt it(I'm on windows right now, i'm not sure will switch now)?

4. hopejr macrumors 6502

The problem is how Windows uses the system clock compared to how Mac OS X does. OS X sets the system clock to UTC and converts to your time zone, whereas Windows sets the system clock to the time in your time zone. When they update their time from the Internet, it will change to the correct time in both. In your case, it seems that OS X is taking its time to update the clock to NZST, so it's adding 12 hours to what Windows has set the clock to, moving you 12 hours into the future (it'll be worse when daylight saving is on, pushing you 13 hours ahead!).

As simsaladimbamba, you need to check that setting in Date & Time System Prefs pane. If it's not ticked, then tick it. If it is ticked, then OS X isn't connecting to the network fast enough to update it. When it happens, ensure that you're connected to the net, then untick and then re-tick that option. Hopefully it won't take much longer to update (I used to have this problem all the time with Tiger, but I've found Leopard and SL to be much quicker at updating, so I never have to do it myself).

EDIT: I see you've already tried this. :p

5. hopejr macrumors 6502

There are three servers there, with Apple Asia (time.asia.apple.com) as the default for our part of the world. You can try entering a different time server in there such as nz.pool.ntp.org. That may work (I don't know, haven't tried it).

6. NZed, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

Thanks guys!

So i have to do that everytime. I have a wifi at home and its signal bar is always full. Its a fast connection, getting download speed up to 1.3mbps(In NZ, this is considered fast and I've experience a faster dl speed in other 3rd world countries i've visited!)