Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcrowder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Austin Texas
My itouch changes time randomly when I plug in my usb cable to my computer. I'm using a Dell laptop but never had any problems with my nano doing this. Has anyone had this problem and or what could be causing the problem?

:(

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
My itouch changes time randomly when I plug in my usb cable to my computer. I'm using a Dell laptop but never had any problems with my nano doing this. Has anyone had this problem and or what could be causing the problem?

:(

well i dont know about this as i STILL DONT have my touch, but it probably syncs directly with computer time,...compare the two next time.;)

bcrowder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Austin Texas
Not computer that sets the time

I don't think the computer is doing anything with the time. I have not found anything in iTunes that allows that preference. But I did notice as soon as I plug the iPhone it makes this low sounding hum and then that's when the time changes. Everytime I plug the USB in I hear the hum and get a different time. I think I might take the unit back to Best Buy and get another one. I bought the MAC care warranty.:(

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
Did you check the clock application on the Touch? Maybe you're set to a different time zone.

vtec123

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
I have the same problem time changes and the humming noise...
My Touch is the 37 week one just waiting for new one to come in to stock at the Apple store before i change it:mad:

bcrowder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Austin Texas
Time changes - Time Zone

For that person who asked about the timezone being the same.... The answer it's set to the same zone as my computer. Again, the time just randomly set to any time, date and month. So it has to do with the iTouch. I think there is a flaw in the connector or the detection from the OS when the cable is attached....:(

mattman00000

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
I have the same problem. I did notice that the time zone always reverts to chicago (at least for me). The time changes randomly though. This only happens with the computer's USB port, not the charger.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I had this problem with winblows, have you checked time in the bios? It helped me. (untill I saw the light and went osx :) )

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
make sure the time on your computer is correct because your iPod will change to the time on your computer every time you sync. Once my laptop time was way off and it changed my ipod time to being way off but when i synced it with my desktop computer which had the right time, then it changed the ipod to the right time.

mattman00000

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Actually, I figured the problem out. If you Hibernate with iTunes open, then it will screw up the time when you take it out of hibernation. So be sure to close iTunes before hibernating and that should take care of it.

big-blue-wolf

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
15.8 miles from Molineux
My touch was randomly resetting its date and time to 1st January 1970 at Midnight.

I took it to an Apple Store who promptly replaced it as they diagnosed it as a failing battery so you may have the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.