Time changes when switching from PC back to Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by compudummy, Sep 14, 2012.

1. compudummy macrumors newbie

When I go from using the PC "half" of my MBPro back to using the Mac "half" the clock resets itself 6 hours into the past. Why? And how can I fix it?

2. compudummy thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that only for Windows 7?

Does that also work for XP?

Can you explain the process?

Thanks.

3. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

It should work for XP. Here's some instructions that I have saved to use to help others..

1. First fire up Registry Editor by typing 'regedit.exe' in Windows 7/Vista Search Bar. If you get a UAC prompt, hit 'Yes'. In Windows XP bring up the Run command using Winkey + R.

2. Now Navigate to this key, to do so simply keep on double clicking the folders till you come across to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\TimeZoneInformation

3. Right click on the empty space right below ‘TimeZoneKeyName’ and create a new DWORD(32-bit). On 32-bit versions of Windows 7/Vista/XP, you will only see DWORD

4. Rename the new DWORD as “RealTimeIsUniversal” (without quotes and its case-sensitive)

5. Double click on the new DWORD and change its value data “0″ (that’s a zero) to “1″ (one). It’s in hexadecimal

6. Save it all. Reboot to Mac OS X, set the time properly and now boot back to Windows. You should notice the time should be the same as it was set in OS X.

4. 66318 macrumors regular

This fix will not work in Windows XP. The code was leftover from the NT days back when Microsoft supported MIPS, PowerPC and Alpha along with Intel x86. In later OSes, the code rotted to the point it didn't work.

Microsoft fixed it up in Vista SP2 and Windows 7. More details here:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html

Also keep in mind there is still a bug with it, when daylight savings rolls around. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687252