Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knows a good way of setting up time-delayed email?

The reason being, my girlfriend has her driving theory test about 3 days after I leave the country for a few weeks, and I will most probably be without internet access for the first few days I'm away.

At the moment, I'm sending her little mini tests every day, to help her revise, that I write myself (well, I copy them out of the book :p ;) )

So I'd like to be able to send like 2 or 3 emails with mini-tests in... I'd like to specify the time and date they are delivered.

I can't find a way to do this with Apple Mail, does anyone have any ideas?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I don't think Mail can do this, unless you were somehow able to write an AppleScript for it.

I seem to recall Eudora being able to do this. I think Thunderbird can as well.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I know that you can send yourself emails to remind you of iCal events...maybe there's a way to add her email address in there and then use the notes section of the event to put the test in there?

Perhaps that would work...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Might be able to do it with iCal's alarms but I'm not sure how to customise the email. Maybe the notes section of the alarm will come through as the email...

Beaten by tobefirst. :p

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
If iCal doesn't work there's always cron...

I mail myself reports from various linux boxes all the time. Adding a command like

Code:
cat message | mail -s "Message" name@address.com
to your crontab will probably do the trick.

B

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
mad jew said:
Might be able to do it with iCal's alarms but I'm not sure how to customise the email. Maybe the notes section of the alarm will come through as the email...

Beaten by tobefirst. :p
FINALLY! I beat the jew! Woo hoo! :)

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hmmm....the easiest way might be to just title each e-mail something like "Open Friday Night" "Open Saturday Afternoon"...and send them all before you go. That way she can just open them at the specified time.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
TheAnswer said:
Hmmm....the easiest way might be to just title each e-mail something like "Open Friday Night" "Open Saturday Afternoon"...and send them all before you go. That way she can just open them at the specified time.

That's a pretty good idea if all else fails!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Qweissman

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
Same Problem... different situation

i need to get an email sent on monday at 6:00pm.

in order to get on a certain list t should not be anytime before it. i want my email to get out the door at exactly 6:00 pm because i compete with others on some very few spots. "first come first served".

it's like calling to the radio and win a prize: you can't call before, you can't call too late...

so how can i make sure my mail jumps out at exactly that time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.