Time/delay send of email in Lion Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by seamuskrat, Oct 11, 2011.

1. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I need some help.

I am looking to schedule the sending of an email.

I am using Lion with Mail, although I can download another mail client (preferably free) for this task if its simpler in another app.

I want to be able to do what I can do with Outlook whcih is Send Later.

Specifically I need a reliable method to schedule an email to be sent later at a specified time.

I am sending in an application to attend a training that fills quickly and they accept email at 12:01 AM. I am at work at that time (rotating shift) and I will nto have email access reliably, so I want to schedule my Mac to send this on my behalf.

I am sure Applescript and Automater can do this, but I am less familiar with these and some Google searches do not show exactly what I want. This is not for spam or regular newsblasts, just a single email that is saved in draft or just scheduled to send at a specific time.

I am sure Mac OS can do this, I am just unsure where to look.

Thanks in advance.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Thunderbird has a send later plugin.

Also, I bet you could do it with applescript....

3. seamuskrat thread starter macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Any ideas on how best to do this with Applescript?

I'll look at Thunderbiurd- does it work with Lion?

The scripts I have seen all state they are unreliable with Lion.

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Personally I haven't done much with applescript. If I were the one who needed to accomplish this, the first thing I would do is to read the applescript documentation. You can find the editor in Applications->Utilities.

5. brah macrumors newbie

i also need to know how to do this. even if it is just mail being stuck in the outbox and I can just manually send later would be fine too...

i take all accounts offline but whens I send a message it still goes though..

im like fffffuuuuuu

6. Doc. Caliban macrumors member

Bump

This must be doable ... hoping someone will take notice of the thread again.

-t

7. iLiz macrumors newbie

Time/delay send of email in Lion Mail

I too am seeking help with this! I work late at night often, and want to delay when the messages are sent out so the time of the email doesn't alarm recipients. Some don't like to see emails done at late hours. But sometimes, that's when I work best.

Someone out there h-e-l-p please?

:apple: Lion - argh!

8. schafx macrumors newbie

I desperately need this feature. I heavily rely on it with Outlook for Windows, and can't believe it's impossible with Outlook on Mac. I want all emails to be delayed by 5 mins by default, unless three spaces appear in the subject line (putting three spaces at the end of an email is an invisible way to mark an email as urgent)

9. usaxccy6 macrumors newbie

Another reason

Another reason for really wanting this feature is that sometimes you can send email in haste, or thoughtlessly or in anger and you regret it 5 minutes later. I'd love every email I write in OSX Mail to go into a buffer where I can have (say) 30 minutes grace before it is actually sent. I use a project management system called Basecamp and it has a feature where you have 15 minutes to change any message that is posted before it is sent to everyone. Very nice it is too.