Time for a clear out - advice

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MoodyM, Sep 17, 2010.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I switched to Mac and bought an iMac in July 2008. In June 2010 I switched to a MacBook Pro, and used a firewire cable to transfer everything across using the transfer tools, so my MBP ended up exactly as my iMac was.

Lately I've been getting a lot of silly file errors, spinning beach balls, sluggish performance, etc, and I though "sod it, time for a fresh install and clear out".

I do have a full Time Machine backup (over the network, sits on a USB drive attached to my Mac Mini), however since getting my MBP I've added a Boot Camp partition for Windows 7 which I don't want to lose, which obviously isn't part of the backup.

Having never flattened and restored a Mac, my main concerns are:

a) If I do an Erase & Install, etc, will I lose/affect my Boot Camp partition?

b) If I simply restore from the full TM backup, am I simply restoring all the problems/sluggishness, etc, that I'm trying to solve?

c) If it's better to do a brand new install and simply restore certain files (music, documents, etc) rather than a full TM restore, is this easy to do?

I'm panicing somewhat about this! Thanks a lot.

I should add I've tried repair disk, disk utility, iDefrag, CleanMyMac, etc, etc

2. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Did you rebuild the launchservices database yet?

How full is the boot volume? [capacity vs. free]

3. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

4. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

<shrug>

Plenty of free space there.

Rebuilding the LS database and maybe a doing DiskWarrior directory optimization should do her. Or perhaps a deep cache cleaning with AppleJack. [?]

</shrug>

Anyway... to answer this part:
    So long as you're careful to erase just the *partition* (volume) by selecting it in Disk Utility, and not the selecting the entire disk... then yes, other partitions will remain untouched. [i can't vouch 100% for how Installer.app might handle the situation... so i specified Disk Utility there. I might/could assume Installer.app would behave the same, but i haven't actually tested it.]