Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I'm also against a gay sub-forum for many of the previously stated reasons. Mainly b/c splintering groups of people appart is not what this community ought to be about. That being said, I see no prob. with leaving the gay thread open, although it may make sense to start a pt. 2 (or is it pt. 8 now?) as it's becoming quite cumbersome in legnth.

As far as creating a place for gays to feel comfortable "coming out" and such, I can understand why people would feel most comfortable doing that here. This is a great community, with intelligent and well-meaning members. People often post in the community section about the ups and downs in their lives (e.g. getting married, wife cheating, having a baby, etc.) and recieve awesome advice about it. So I can understand why people would want to "come out of the closet" on macrumors.

I just don't think a sub-forum is necessary to do this. As someone previously posted, using Gay in the thread's topic line could clearly denote the topic at hand. As far as organizing, I also think a .mac group would be the perfect solution (you can have up to 999 members I think?); I'm not certain of the numbers but that would be sufficient, at least initially to include any gay macrumors member that wanted to join (and straight people too for that matter). Just my $0.02.

PaZuZuPrime

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Santa Clara California
Gay/Lesbian Forum?

What does being a homosexual have to do with Macrumors or the discussion of Apple subject matter? I would think that there are other more suitable places for you to discuss your sexual orientation or challanges facing your lifestyle than in a forum designed for Apple computer discussion. Whatever you do in the privacy of your own bedroom is your business how about we all keep it that way.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
OK, I was wrong, sorry

The thread I mentioned, has wandered over lots of topics. And was thinking that a sub-forum might be a great place to expand on the ideas that came forward.

I agree with the moderate voices, that my original idea is not a great idea. I am not for segregation of any group from society as a whole. But given some comments (if I read them correctly), was a reason that I thought a sub-forum would be a way to protect the sensibilities of some here.

Some have asked what does being Gay have to do with Macs. What does dating, car accidents, speeding tickets, Kieira, and so many other threads have to do with Macs? For me it is all these threads that make MR a real community. I have chatted with a lot of people here on MR. We have been there for each other when the chips were down. We have been there for the celebrations. It is that sense of community that led me to contribute for the first time (and so far the only time) to a website.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
PaZuZuPrime said:
What does being a homosexual have to do with Macrumors or the discussion of Apple subject matter? I would think that there are other more suitable places for you to discuss your sexual orientation or challanges facing your lifestyle than in a forum designed for Apple computer discussion. Whatever you do in the privacy of your own bedroom is your business how about we all keep it that way.

IMO Macrumors is more of a meeting place for individuals who share a common interest, that being Apple, and doesn't have to focus on just one subject matter.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Chip NoVaMac said:
Some have asked what does being Gay have to do with Macs. What does dating, car accidents, speeding tickets, Kieira, and so many other threads have to do with Macs? For me it is all these threads that make MR a real community. I have chatted with a lot of people here on MR. We have been there for each other when the chips were down. We have been there for the celebrations. It is that sense of community that led me to contribute for the first time (and so far the only time) to a website.

Which is the very reason NOT to segregate from the group and splinter it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
MacDawg said:
Which is the very reason NOT to segregate from the group and splinter it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

I see that now. It was to avoid hassles and possible wastelanding of threads because of some feelings towards the Gay community. I am surprised and pleased that the GayWay thread has survived. I was also looking for a way for those that wanted to, to enjoy the various topics being discussed, without wading through 1600+ posts. I know I tend to avoid threads like that.

SharksFan22

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Bay Area, CA
With all due respect to our gay participants -- who cares about your orientation?? Do your thing, have fun, but for cryin' out loud, let's quit making a big deal about it. Imagine if all the heterosexual members starting making rumblings about their own "safe" place. Again, while I will not tolerate gay bashing, I could care less if a friend is gay. Big deal.

I dunno, I'm straight and don't feel the need for us to start a straight forum. Who cares about the orientation of a poster.

EDIT -- Actually, I find that some of the posting by our gay participants helps me understand some of the discrimination gays face on a daily basis. I'm a single, straight, white male that won't ever deal with the crap that others do. Moving that discussion "underground" keeps this woman-loving guy in the dark to the plight of the discriminated. :)

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
SharksFan22 said:
With all due respect to our gay participants -- who cares about your orientation?? Do your thing, have fun, but for cryin' out loud, let's quit making a big deal about it. Imagine if all the heterosexual members starting making rumblings about their own "safe" place. Again, while I will not tolerate gay bashing, I could care less if a friend is gay. Big deal.

I dunno, I'm straight and don't feel the need for us to start a straight forum. Who cares about the orientation of a poster.

EDIT -- Actually, I find that some of the posting by our gay participants helps me understand some of the discrimination gays face on a daily basis. I'm a single, straight, white male that won't ever deal with the crap that others do. Moving that discussion "underground" keeps this woman-loving guy in the dark to the plight of the discriminated. :)

My sentiments exactly.

I'm gay and in an 11 year relationship, we don't make a big deal about it. I understand the need to "rally together" so to speak in order to gain legal justices and so forth, I just don't think we need such a forum here in MR. This is first and foremost an Apple community. The problem with most gay forums is they tend to spiral down into wing flapping, purse snatching, bitchiness (which bores me stupid) and I for one don't want to see that here in what is a great community of intelligent, articulate like minded individuals.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Blue Velvet said:
Hope for your sake that one day somebody doesn't dismiss you as an 'old guy' or your thoughts as arcane. :rolleyes:

Really condescending and unnecessary feedback there.
Thank you, I love you.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
edesignuk said:
The community is for all, there's absolutely no need to segregate people like this.
Actually I must say, there have been some sort of segregation in the past, remember the "why do all site admins have wigs?" thread. I didn't follow that thread as I find it inappropriate for admins to bring out their internal jokes for all to see and make every member scratching their head. But since then, there has been none of that, so it might just been a fluke shot.

Well, I could have pay up to be involved. Anyway, I generally don't support chip's idea as well.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Chip NoVaMac said:
I see that now. It was to avoid hassles and possible wastelanding of threads because of some feelings towards the Gay community. I am surprised and pleased that the GayWay thread has survived. I was also looking for a way for those that wanted to, to enjoy the various topics being discussed, without wading through 1600+ posts. I know I tend to avoid threads like that.

Then don't put everything into one thread Chip, make new threads about the topics that interest you. You aren't limited to one thread to discuss all of your topics, and besides, others might be more interested and willing to read a new thread. Many share your feelings, opinions, and even struggles who are straight.

While I don't won't to see a separate sub forum, I don't want your thread closed, and I do want everyone to feel free to participate and express themselves without fear of condemnation and/or retribution. We all have our differences.

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
angelneo said:
Actually I must say, there have been some sort of segregation in the past, remember the "why do all site admins have wigs?" thread. I didn't follow that thread as I find it inappropriate for admins to bring out their internal jokes for all to see and make every member scratching their head. But since then, there has been none of that, so it might just been a fluke shot.
Oh please, that's nothing like what we're talking about here :rolleyes:

...and it wasn't "admins", it was demi's, which there are a LOT OF.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
edesignuk said:
Oh please, that's nothing like what we're talking about here :rolleyes:

...and it wasn't "admins", it was demi's, which there are a LOT OF.
No need to get all defensive about it, I'm not really concerned about that. First of all, I didn't contribute any money so I guess I don't get the right to share that joke that the majority has. Also, I didn't read that thread, which makes it even worse. :p

Anyway, since MacDawg asks, I was just merely pointing out that the joke do alienated others as well, same reasoning that the gay sub-forums is a bad idea since it do segregate others on a certain level, although in that case all is free to participate.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
angelneo said:
Anyway, since MacDawg asks, I was just merely pointing out that the joke do alienated others as well, same reasoning that the gay sub-forums is a bad idea since it do segregate others on a certain level, although in that case all is free to participate.

I can see your point to a certain extent, there are 3 divisions of sorts with the mods, contributors and members, although I don't see those distinctions playing themselves out in any significant way. I guess the 'contributor games' could be seen as elitest, but it is more of a way to build relationships and encourage support of the forum, not inclusion in a group.

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
MacDawg said:
I can see your point to a certain extent, there are 3 divisions of sorts with the mods, contributors and members, although I don't see those distinctions playing themselves out in any significant way. I guess the 'contributor games' could be seen as elitest, but it is more of a way to build relationships and encourage support of the forum, not inclusion in a group.

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif
I do agreed that it is a good way of building rapport. I myself have been accused of promoting elitism previously in another setting so I might understand on both sides and try to keep it to the group involved. Anyway, this is a trivial issue, let's not be too concerned about this.

btw, it seems that the gay thread has spawned various "versions" now.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
I haven't read all the way through this thread, but I think it's silly to have a "gay" forum . What difference does one's sexual persuasion have on a computer forum?
I don't care who is hetero and who is not if my only question is, "How do I get this to work on my Mac?"
Now, if my only comment on here was, "Hey, where are all the women?" You'd think people would tell me I was on the wrong site altogether.

Just my 2¢.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Hear, hear! And one for green eyed, freckle faced, american indian vermonters too!

Seriously though, sexuality has little to do with Macintosh rumors. All PC (Windows and Political Correctness) asside we really don't need a forum for gays and lesbians, nor transexuals, nor heterosexuals, nor married people, nor single people, nor myoptic nerds who think there are too many forums already.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I feel that it may segregate the community a little. There is a very popular gay thread in the community forum already that would be/is the same.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
pubwvj said:
Hear, hear! And one for green eyed, freckle faced, american indian vermonters too!

Seriously though, sexuality has little to do with Macintosh rumors. All PC (Windows and Political Correctness) asside we really don't need a forum for gays and lesbians, nor transexuals, nor heterosexuals, nor married people, nor single people, nor myoptic nerds who think there are too many forums already.

Please tell me that was a Freudian slip? It would make my day. ;) :p

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I like the idea, however I think the idea of having a "community" with all kinds of topics quite a bit more.

I frequently read the "GayWay" topic as it is a great source of real world information, and entertainment. However I think that if we create too many sub forums the work gets harder for moderators, and it is more likely to make Macrumors look cluttered, and or draw attention from the wrong people.

I admin 2 forums myself, and keeping a forum with just 100's of members is a tough job. In my experience the less sub forums there are, the better quality posts come out into the open on the more "general" forums.

Just my .0000000000000000000000000000000000000002

image.php

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
MacAztec said:
Oh and while were at it lets make a Straight Forum, for only straight people.

And maybe we could do a White people forum? You know, for us white folk?

In case you can't read

Chip NoVaMac said:
I agree with the moderate voices, that my original idea is not a great idea. I am not for segregation of any group from society as a whole.

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.