Time for a Laptop Upgrade - Perhaps?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Adamapple, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Adamapple macrumors member

Just posted a thread about my MacBook Pro (2009 - A1286) battery going bad.

I'm having some thoughts about just replacing it with a new/used/refurbished laptop. It may be time...

Here is what I do and need:

I do some graphic design mainly using InDesign CS4, Photoshop CS4, and Dreamweaver CS4 (on occasion). Have a large collection in iTunes and iPhoto. Use Pages & Numbers. And of course the basic web browsing and email.

I have a new Mac Mini that I use at home, and it suits me well, but need a laptop when I travel, etc.

Any recommendations or thoughts are appreciated!

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If it otherwise works fine, just get a new battery!

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

If the mac mini suits all your needs, then any current 2012/2013 macbook should do what you need, whether the air, pro, or retina pro.

What's your budget like and how large is "large" in your library collection? If its in the x00GB range, I would recommend going for the regular Macbook Pro, as it contains a regular hardrive which holds a lot more than the same priced current SSDs.

4. Adamapple thread starter macrumors member

Yes, everything works fine on it ... so the battery fix would be easiest. Otherwise, budget is $1,500 ... and my mp3/photo collection is not that large ...
    I do have almost 100gb in design files though.

5. thekingofnerds, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

thekingofnerds macrumors regular

If it runs fast enough just get a battery and run it as long as you can.

You can also pick up 500GB SSD for around $300-350 these days to give it a real nice boost.

6. Adamapple thread starter macrumors member

Nice idea!

7. thekingofnerds macrumors regular

Thnx, you're welcome! If you go the SSD route, you may have to use something like Trim Enabler to get TRIM turned on. It'll work without it - but it slows down quite a bit after a while, depending on how you use your machine. It lets the system clear out unused blocks (deleted files) on the SSD to keep everything speedy.

8. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

With samsung 840 drives (bes value for the money), it's just install and have fun. No need for tweaking. (trim, ram swap, etc...)