Time for a new iPhone 4 battery, but which one?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eddjedi, Jan 20, 2012.

1. eddjedi macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 is now approx. 18 months old, and the battery has finally started to deteriorate. It'll barely make 12 hours from full to empty. I've seen a few guides and it looks really easy to replace, but I'm struggling to decide which battery to buy.

They range in price from about £4 to £10 on Ebay. Some claim to be genuine, many don't, and all photos look exactly the same!

So my question is how do you know if one is genuine, and does it really matter?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You know it's genuine if Apple replaces the battery.

3. eddjedi thread starter macrumors regular

It will probably also cost £100 rather than £5, so keen not to go down that route.

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I dunno man, I'd prob. pay up and let apple do it. I wouldn't trust those aftermarket batteries.

So many people like to say "A battery is a battery" or "A cord is a cord" but it's really not the case always...

At the very least, I'd source a direct OEM battery and DIY. Is it really worth saving a few bucks to possibly wreck your phone?

5. eddjedi thread starter macrumors regular

No I completely agree, I definitely am keen to get an OEM one. Just interested to know how to identify one, or if anybody knew reliable sellers on Ebay/eslewhere.