Time for a new iPod.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mbryant52, Mar 17, 2008.

1. mbryant52 macrumors member

The time has come for me to purchase a new iPod. I passed the 2gb Nano I have been using for the past year on to a friend in need. It's alright - I was growing tired of the limited capacity of the unit. I did, however, love the actual size of the player and appreciated how easy it was to run or cycle with it in my pocket. I'm not interested in picture or video capabilities. My music library is about 6 gbs, so the replacement unit I've had my eye on is the 8gb Nano. I would, however, actually prefer the 2nd generation model. I prefer the size and do not feel the need to spend more on the added video feature. A warranty is, however, important to me. Unfortunately, no refurbished 2nd generation models are currently for sale on the Apple website.

Does anyone know where I could purchase a refurbished (with warranty) 2nd generation 8gb Nano for a bit less than the 3rd generation model available on the Apple website?

Thank you.

2. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

This doesn't really answer your question, but I have both a 2nd Gen Ipod Nano and a new 3rd Gen video nano (actually my wife's). At first, I thought the weird, fat shape would be annoying, but after getting used to it, I really like the new shape over the older one. Just thought you might want to know that the new ones grow on you.

3. mbryant52 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, a different question. I've decided, because of size, that I'd prefer a 2nd gen Nano. I've found several 8gb models on craigslist for about $100. I also found one on the "Nextworth's Great iPod Exchange" (a third-party company that refurbishes iPods) website for $120, purportedly in "excellent condition." Shipping is $10. I can get a SquareTrade warranty (which seems pretty legit) for $15, bringing the total to $145 with a three-year warranty.

My question is this: if I'm buying a used 2nd gen Nano is it worth the extra $45 to have a warranty? What kinds of issues do these players have, long-term? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

noooooooooooo dont buy from some store that will sell you a refurbished iPod but you will not get Apple warranty but something from someone else called 'SquareTrade'.. get directly from apple refurb store... i suggest you check out if this is actually a legit company...

5. pugple macrumors member

I also prefer the old nanos, I just missed them on the apple refurbs and now they haven't had new ones in awhile. :( Is there anywhere legit that has the older nanos?

6. mbryant52 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I would love to actually buy a refurb unit from Apple, but as you mentioned, they're not available.

7. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

Refurb store cycles through pretty often so if you have some time to wait, you might want to wait it out.

8. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yeah, look on the Refurb site first thing in the AM, that's when all the best deals will be posted.

I bought a 2nd Generation 8GB Black iPod Nano for $149 not too long ago -- 2 months or so.