Time for a New Mac - Need Feedback

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by designboy, Apr 7, 2010.

1. designboy macrumors newbie

designboy

I am wanting to get some feedback from at least one of you that might offer some feedback. If you don't mind. If you don't have time to respond I will understand.

My current G5 is showing it's age. Everything is getting sluggish. The machine is just slowing down. I feel like I have kept it maintained pretty well. I do repair permissions when I think it needs it. I may zap pram on occasion. I keep it on so it gets the system updates at night. I am at OSX 10.5.8. I keep everything updated which in turn requires more processor. As I upgrade the software my machine isn't getting the upgrade.

I am probably going to get one of the MacPro machines. Not sure which model or from where yet. That's one of the reasons for this email. Just wanting to know what you would do if you were in my shoes.
    I've got a budget of about $3200. Definitely want AppleCare.

I have never done a fresh install of all of my apps. I've always done a migration from old mac to new or old drive to new drive. I would like to just reinstall everything from scratch and have a fresh machine with no extra junk.

I thought about using this G5 for a server in the living room next to the tv and apple tv or just use it as a media center. you think? A bit large.

I have shopped around several places. Amazon, Apple Refurb, Apple Store, etc. I do like the Apple Store's option to customize the mac but it gets pricey.

Will my SATA 640gb drives work in the MacPro? How will I do that? Put one in, wipe it. Migrate the info from the backup?

I have a G5
    2- 640gb internals (boot/clone)
    750gb external Time Machine drive
    3 internal 250 gb on an add-on Sonnet Tempo SATA rack (one is a clone of the other)
    1 external 250gb drive (clone of one of the extra inernals)
    1 external that died on me
    I have 100s of Apps
    7 gb RAM
    Plan on getting a 2 TB external at some point to upgrade Time Machine drive.
    Tons of photos in iPhoto and photos and libraries in Lightroom
    Lots of movies that I've transferred from either home DVDs, VHS, video camera, etc.
    Graphics files from freelance projects.

I use my G5 for everything.
    Video recordings and editing. mostly home movies
    Graphic Design using Adobe CS2 - Freelance Graphic Design, Photo edits, etc.
    Lightroom 2 - Freelance and personal photography
    Email, Internet, Audio Recording, Bookkeeping, Word processsing, DVD Ripping for Apple TV (lots fo things synced to my apple tv from G5.
    I'm sure I've missed something

Wow you made it down this far?!! Thank you, Thank you.

Jim

2. Coldmode macrumors regular

I complete every task you described just fine on a high-end MacBook Pro, so you probably don't need to go the Mac Pro route. I should be writing a paper right now, so I'll be back with more thoughts later.

3. designboy thread starter macrumors newbie

designboy

I really appreciate the response Coldmode. I like room for expansion. That's why I'm going the MacPro Route. I have expanded/upgraded the G5 several times. I own a black MacBook. I don't need a second laptop.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

macpros are due for an update within the next few months, wait. You have waited this long another little bit wont hurt.

Do all of the additions yourself, too easy not to, and much cheaper.

Yes, your old drives will fit in a new Macpro, but using your PPC G5 install wont work, and migrating from the G5 wouldnt be my first choice either. So the fresh installs from scratch is a great idea. I just did a full CS3 reinstall, easy. Ran the uninstaller, then a full reinstall + download the updates, took about 20 minutes total. Not a big deal.

You should pop $$$ for CS4 after the 12th, which should qualify you for a free CS5 upgrade.

So thats one route. Once you get ready to buy, I would post back.

Im not sure you need a Macpro either.

You could easily get a 27" i7 iMac -- it would handle all your needs and then some, for less money, and you get a top quality 27" screen to boot.

Lots of discussion about 27" iMacs and their speed. Barefeats has some good numbers for you to look at.

5. polotska macrumors 6502

I'd go with the Mac Pro. Since you're accustomed to the flexibility/expandability of the Power Mac G5, I think you'd be frustrated by the limitations of the iMac.

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Define "limitations".

To the G5 he added a second drive for backup and a tiny 250 gig internal something. No video card upgrades, no extra USB/FW ports, no other real "upgrades"

iMac can do most all of that, faster and cheaper.

I know, we switched from G5s like that to the iMacs in my list below. Was like night and day. iMacs made the G5s look like they were standing still.

I run the entire Adobe Creative Suite + Quark 8 on a 2.4 AL iMac w/4 gigs ram and it handles it all without even breaking a sweat. And I'm talking multi hundred meg Photoshop files and 100+ page Quark files with gigs of links. Not some crappy little 72 dpi web graphics and a few 3 panel brochures.

So any quad core iMac and 8 gigs of ram will even be *faster*.

7. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

No, it looks like he added more than that. He had the Sonnet SATA rack also. I'm not sure if that was internal or external, but if external then it probably used a PCI card.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Internal, I used to have a similar rack in my G5 + PCI SATA card.

The word "expandability" gets throw around a lot when these comparisons come up, and thats fair. But mac towers have always been "missing" the parts that need expanding. No standard wifi for example. You always get the "you could upgrade the video card" but then find out 3 years later theres really only 1 or 2 cards to choose from and they cost $400.

Completely true that the 4 internal bays are handy. True that having eSATA is fast. Lots of others.

But the towers are just $500 too much.

Theres no bang for the buck.

I was *very* hesitant buying iMacs. But 4 entry level MP towers was gong to run me $10,000. Back when MPs shipped with 2 gigs ram and 160 gig drives. Back when adding more ram cost $400 for 2 gigs. And factor in monitor costs.

For half that I got my iMacs + 4 gigs ram and everyone gained a second screen. And everyone got a huge shot performance wise.