Time for a new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thrilla21, Aug 2, 2011.

1. thrilla21 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. This is my first post on MacRumors as I recently discovered this website and found it to be very helpful and informative. So here's my deal; I purchased my first MacBook Pro in August of 2008 when I started college. I obviously love it but now I'm wanting to get a new one. It's an older model (2008) so I guess it's somewhat outdated (I am not extremely computer savvy.) There is a crack on the frame around the screen, it's very dirty, has "burn" marks on the bottom (not sure how they got there) and the battery is brutal. I'm very excited about the new Lion software but I haven't purchase it yet because I might be buying a new laptop (likely this weekend or bust.) I just want to know is three years too soon despite the problems? Should I suck it up and keep going with what I have or get a new one? I'm not very sure/specific of what I want other than a 15' MacBook Pro. I really only use Excel, Word and iTunes and the internet and I don't venture too far out other than that.

Thoughts?

2. yauzers619 macrumors member

If you have the money and you can buy it out right, go for it.

If you don't save up for the next gen since tech just gets better.

I have a 13" MacBook older than yours that still going strong, after an SSD upgrade. Granted the SSD is worth equal or more than the MacBook itself but it's a cheaper way to get a performance jump,

3. egi macrumors newbie

the MBPs are about in the middle of their cycle now, so if were you I would just wait for the update which will come probably at the end of this year or the beginning of the next.

why not consider getting a MBA ? it would be more than enough for your work and would have the same resolution of a 15" MBP (the 13" MBA).

4. thrilla21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know much about the Airs to be honest.

5. thrilla21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice :)

6. egi macrumors newbie

here's the offical apple website - http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

basically it's a thin, light macbook with plenty of power due to the recent upgrade

7. thrilla21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't it used to not have a disc drive or it didn't have something that others did?

Also it doesn't come in 15', which I have now. I don't really want to go smaller.

8. egi macrumors newbie

yes, it does not have a disc drive, nor an ethernet port, but those are the only things it lacks.

if you want 15" then MBP is your only choice :)

9. thrilla21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Another thing I'm worried about is transferring all my stuff from my old to my new one. How hard/simple of a process is that?

10. egi macrumors newbie

it is really not that hard using apple's migration assitant. there are multiple ways which migration assitant can transfer all your data so you can choose which is best for you.

tutorial is here - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413

11. thrilla21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I think I might go with the FireWire rout.