Time for a new MB and need some help...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matthew$, Feb 9, 2008.

1. matthew$ macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I have had my 12" G4 for two years and am looking to get a new MB. I have been considering get a black MB and upgrading the RAM from 1GB to 2GB. I have also been looking at a MB Pro 15". What is the difference between the two other than the graphics? Is there a huge difference?

And, if I decided to go with the MB Pro how long would you guys recommend for me to wait? The buyers guide on here says no to buy right now. How much longer do you all think it will be before the update? I haven't heard anything about the updates they are considering, are they that big of a deal?

Thanks to all for any input.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Looks like Feb 26 will bring the MBP update, but some rumours say March 17 :)

3. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Yeah, there is a 12 page long thread in the macforums rumors forum section up at the top about the rumored updates. Looking like the 26th, but who knows.

If you go with the macbook pro - wait. The upgrades could be as minimal as a processor bump or as big as a redesign. No one really knows. Either way, best to wait in the macbook pro buying until March. If you don't care about the updates, that just means you can get the current model for a bit cheaper probably anyway.

As far as the differences, obviously the macbook pro has:

dedicated graphics
    backlit keyboard
    better speakers (slightly.. not a big thing)
    runs cooler because of the aluminum
    worse reception because of the aluminum
    better screen (with LED backlighting) which also = better battery life

I've had both, and for a long term use and only computer I really prefer the macbook pro, and the footprint isnt' that much different really, nor is the weight, so if you have the money and are used to the pro feel like you are, i'd go for the pro, however, the regular macbook is a nice little computer I enjoy using mine, and i've had the black and now the white, but as a pro user, you may want to stick with it.

Oh... and you can get a matte screen with the macbook pro - which is what you are currently used to (of which I have had both as well, and both have big plusses... i swap computers a lot :eek: matte is nice if you are used to it)

Personally I'd sit back and chill for a few more weeks before making your decision, but it's up to you. Try them both out, get a feel for it...

as far as ram... if you are going to be upgrading from 1-2 or whatever, the macbook pro comes with 2 from the beginning so you may not have to upgrade, but if you are getting a Macbook, then you may as well spend 80 or so on a 2x2 4gig pack from newegg or somewhere, instead of the 2x1 (cause I think the macbooks still come with 2 x 512 standard.. correct me if i'm wrong) so you may as well up that ram all the way.... for less then double the cost.

Just a suggestion :)

4. matthew$ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. There is a lot of good stuff in your reply. I would love to up the RAM on my own, but I have no idea what I am doing with that stuff. I do not know how to put that stuff in. If I did buy the RAM through newegg which would you recommend and does it mess up any warranty through Apple?

I guess the only things really keeping me from making the MB Pro plunge is the 15" screen and I really liked the black.

5. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

how to install ram on the macbook :

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303721

How to install ram on the macbook pro:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303491

both involve taking out your battery and 3 screws and about 5 min of time :)

ram is a user replacable part, so it does not void any warranty.

GL :)

ps. as far as brand, most people swear by crucial. I've had some good stuff by g-skill that was pretty dependable. I ordered some kensington? i think through new egg and had no problems with it. Just read some reviews and look around for a good price on something with good reviews, most have long or lifetime warranties too, so either way you'll be set :)

6. matthew$ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I appreciate your help. I just don't understand how Apple would $700 to put in the same kind of RAM that I can put in for under $100? Thanks!

7. schreck macrumors regular

Profit.

There are too many people out there that know very little about computing and will shell out the 700 for pre-installed Apple ram.

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

In my experience, the MacBook is cooler to the touch than the MBP (the aluminum heats up and gets warm/sticky, and I also get better battery life with my macbook. The speakers on the MacBook are much better than the speakers on my 15" MBP.

If you do a lot of video conferencing, the MBP iSight is far superior to the Macbook's (MBP has a 1.2 megapixel iSight)

9. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

I've had this same dilemma about Macbook Black or MacBook Pro. I've decided that I just don't need the MBP... and the increase in cost just isn't justified.

But now I'm thinking I might want an iMac! Oh, decisions. I love watching TV with the portable in my lap, so I'll probably wait until the MacBook has LED backlighting. I would imagine that will happen sooner rather than later, with Apple's push to make their product line greener. We'll see.

But back to the MBP vs MB thing, I say MB unless you totally rue the glossy screens.

10. matthew$ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! Keep the input coming. I guess I can't really make decisions until I see what the updates to MB Pro are really going to be.

11. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

I'm actually in a similar situation... I'm trying to justify an extra AU $1000 just so I can play games.

On one hand, I only really play Battlefield and that's infrequently.

On the other, if I'm shelling out this much for a notebook it should be able to do everything I want.

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Get the Macbook unless you explicitly need the graphics card; that's the primary performance difference between the two. Either way, you'll save a few hundred if you go refurbed than new.