Time for a new Time Machine Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Soura2112, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

Hi all,
    I work on a 2005 (G5) and my Maxtor 1TB external drive sucks, it has broken 3 times, thankfully I have not lost any data, but I recently had a close call. I am looking for a good drive to use only or Time Machine. I like the new WD with the dgital label, but again this is only for back up, so cheaper maybe better. Plus I am looking for a good deal at Frys. Can anyone suggest a good drive for only Time Machine use (nothing fancy)
    Also I have always used FireWire 400 for Time Machine, all my externals are FireWire 400, for editing purpose. So I was thinking does it really matter if I run Time Machine on USB 2.0? I know I can save some money that way, I just never got a USB 2.0 drive.
    Thanks for any info

2. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

3. strausd macrumors 68030

I have a 2TB WD my book studio with eLabel and I love it. I don't really care about labeling what's on the drive, but more so how much space I have left. It's really nice being able to just take a quick glance over to see how much is left instead of opening up a new finder window and looking at the small text at the bottom of the window. Also, you can get it for under $200 on Amazon, and even cheaper for a 1 TB. And I would suggest using FW for backups cause USB 2.0 is much slower.

4. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I figured to with FireWire like usual, but with never using apples air capsule with modem I wasn't sure how long a normal time machine back up would take. I also do other backing up outside of Time machine, but this drive is time machine only.
    I would really like the new western digital to replace one of my current video drives. One day I hope they make external drives that last longer. So far Western Digital has been the best, knock on wood. My Lacie went out a year to early, but I did get a lot of use from the drive, especially with video work.